Help! My peppered Cory has lost its barbels

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

MusicMan44

Reaction score
Help! I got a new 45 litre tank 5 weeks ago, cycled it, and put 6 neon tetras in a few weeks later as the water was fine. A week later I tested the water and it was good so put in 3 peppered corys. A week after they've gone in and one has lost its barbels and is breathing really heavily. The other two are fine and happily swimming around.
What do I do?

What is your substrate out of curiosity and your water parameters. Tetras can be nippy but I havenā€™t heard before of biting barbells off, seems quite specific

It is sand with a little bit of gravel mixed in. I don't have a test kit, should I buy one tomorrow? Pets at home tested the water last Sunday and said it was perfect for new fish. Also I did a water change a few hours before I noticed that the barbels were missing and it was the Corys first water change, could that have anything to do with it? Thank you for replying

Nah, water change wouldnā€™t have done anything but beneficial. How long has the tank been cycled? You need to invest in a water test kit, the api kit is brilliant. Test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates (and ph but right now I donā€™t think thatā€™s the issue)
You will need to change 50-75% of the water everytime you read nitrites and ammonia anything but 0. If your tank isnā€™t cycled it could take a few weeks. With regards to the missing barbells, they can get infections or sore from gravel substrate. Someone might recommend salt however double check the dose as corys are sensitive to salt and it can damage them.

Nah, water change wouldnā€™t have done anything but beneficial. How long has the tank been cycled? You need to invest in a water test kit, the api kit is brilliant. Test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates (and ph but right now I donā€™t think thatā€™s the issue)
You will need to change 50-75% of the water everytime you read nitrites and ammonia anything but 0. If your tank isnā€™t cycled it could take a few weeks. With regards to the missing barbells, they can get infections or sore from gravel substrate. Someone might recommend salt however double check the dose as corys are sensitive to salt and it can damage them.
Spot on. Best to get water parameters in check before adding anything else i.e. salt or meds

The tank was cycled for about 3 weeks, then pets at home tested it and said it was perfect for fish. I will definately buy a test kit tomorrow, I just hope he survives through the night :/ Do you think I should put some salt in? If so, how much? Also I noticed some white spots on some of the tetra and thought it was white spot so got some advice and was told to put a half dose of anti white spot plus in which I did. Could this affect it? I will try and get a picture but he is quite hidden

Missing barbels isn't a disaster for corydoras, they can recover and regrow them. Only use salt, especially with cories (who are particularly sensitive to salt) if there is a sign of bacterial infection (usually identifiable by a reddening in the affected area).
Don't mean to sound like a tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist, however pets at home are in it for the money, and not for the welfare of the animal.
All those medicines they have in stock need to be sold, and what better way to do so than selling sick fish and giving poor advice. You must test your own water to be certain of whether it is safe or not, I'm sorry to say, but pets at home staff are not be trusted.
May I ask what method you used to cycle the tank?

IMG_20200919_201452429.jpg
sorry for the bad quality, he went up unsteadily for a gasp of air then sort of fell to the bottom and landed on his side

Missing barbels isn't a disaster for corydoras, they can recover and regrow them. Only use salt, especially with cories (who are particularly sensitive to salt) if there is a sign of bacterial infection (usually identifiable by a reddening in the affected area).
Don't mean to sound like a tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist, however pets at home are in it for the money, and not for the welfare of the animal.
All those medicines they have in stock need to be sold, and what better way to do so than selling sick fish and giving poor advice. You must test your own water to be certain of whether it is safe or not, I'm sorry to say, but pets at home staff are not be trusted.
May I ask what method you used to cycle the tank?
There isn't any signs of reddening yet. I cycled the tank with fishless cycling using microbe lift special blend water care.

And please donā€™t feel judged, I was told my water was fine after a week by my local fish store. Long story short, lost a few guppies, everything else alive but I learned so much. Learned quickly about the nitrogen cycle, and now fish are thriving.
I highly imagine your white spots are ich
Can you post some pics please?

Neons, need to treat the whole tank if it is ich as it spreads, but donā€™t worry itā€™s a free treatment

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back