Help! My Otocinclus Are Going Translucent

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

r.w.girard

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
In my 10 gallon planted tank, I had two otocinclus [my third having died]. They were in the tank for about two weeks so we added a third and a betta a few days ago. The betta is pretty aggressive but I don't think it is harassing them. The new otocinclus looks fine but the other two have gone pale, almost translucent and their gills are pretty red. But their bellies seem full [but not bloated]. They have never done much, most stay in one place but have been more active since the third was added. But when frightened they still zip around, which is to say no unusual lethargy that I can tell.

The water is fine: 25-30% change the day before the new fish were added, little/no ammonia, no nitrites, few nitrates.

The only other thing that I can think of is that I "refreshed" my seachem purigen bag and put it back in the tank yesterday. Used bleach as one must but I rinsed it out well and treated it for chlorine. And while that could have something to do with the rest of my fish seem fine [including the new otocinclus!].

What could be happening? Any ideas?

Probably stressed. Do a waterchange. Ime, otos do go pale from time to time but always color back up. Just watch the betta for agression. Maybe add more plants.cheers

Probably stressed. Do a waterchange. Ime, otos do go pale from time to time but always color back up. Just watch the betta for agression. Maybe add more plants.cheers
They are starting to color back up a little, or so it seems. But, I am always nervous about water changes. My "common sense" tells me that it would be a shock to the fish if they are already fragile. I guess that would be wrong. Another plant or two might be a good idea, though.

Oh and I had forgotten to mention, I took off the backdrop the other day and maybe they are just feeling less secure because of that ...

Waterchanges are never a bad idea. Will likely bring their color back. If the backdrois dark could make them appear wased out...so can light colored substrate. As long as they are healthy(fat round potbellies) I wouldnt worry too much. More plants wouldnt hurt either.
cheers You

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back