FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Allaboutcichlids

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As you can see from the images my cichlid is very ill. It has been like this for a couple of months now, slowly getting worse and worse over time. As you can see, there are lumps (which are very hard to touch!) all along the fins of the fish and its mouth has swollen which has gradually got larger over time, making it more difficult for the fish to eat. I have separated the infected fish from the rest of my other cichlids to avoid spread.

Currently, the fish is acting normal and still eating well (Other than been covered in these lumps). I have only seen this in one other fish in my fish tank, where it has displayed a very small lump on its dorsal fin. Could this be a disease or some sort of tumour? I have treated all my tanks with anti-fungal treatment, but still no results.

Has anyone experienced this before or know what it is or know any treatments that would be effective to save my fish?

Attachments

• IMG_1961.jpg
    IMG_1961.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1965.jpg
    IMG_1965.jpg
    532 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1968.jpg
    IMG_1968.jpg
    622.9 KB · Views: 127
Hi everyone,

As you can see from the images my cichlid is very ill. It has been like this for a couple of months now, slowly getting worse and worse over time. As you can see, there are lumps (which are very hard to touch!) all along the fins of the fish and its mouth has swollen which has gradually got larger over time, making it more difficult for the fish to eat. I have separated the infected fish from the rest of my other cichlids to avoid spread.

Currently, the fish is acting normal and still eating well (Other than been covered in these lumps). I have only seen this in one other fish in my fish tank, where it has displayed a very small lump on its dorsal fin. Could this be a disease or some sort of tumour? I have treated all my tanks with anti-fungal treatment, but still no results.

Has anyone experienced this before or know what it is or know any treatments that would be effective to save my fish?
Update: I believe it to be Lymphocystis, common lake Malawi cichlids.
I would appreciate any treatment suggestions?

I have one with lymphocytis. It comes and goes. Is that lump in the mouth? If so, the fish may need to euthanized. Let’s see what @Colin_T has to say.

Any chance of some pictures that are in focus?

It appears the fish has a growth in its mouth. This is most likely a tumour and there is no treatment for it.

The fish's fins appeared to be frayed and that can be caused by a weakened immune system that is probably associated with the growth.

------------------
When the fish no longer eats well, then euthanise it.

Put some gravel on the bottom and a picture on the back of the tank to make it feel more secure. Add some plants, rocks or wood too.

Hi everyone,

Thank-you for all your messages.

@Colin_T I have attached some clearer pictures for you.

I was thinking it could be a possible tumour too as it is the only fish that has been affected like this, although I thought it could be Lymphocystis as my melanochromis auratus shows some lumps on its dorsal fin, see image attached. Yet, it is by no means seriously affected. Do you know if there are any preventions or ways to remove it from the tank should it be Lymphocystis?

The fish has been like that for a couple of months now and seems to be doing fine, especially now it has a whole tank to itself. It is eating well and seems unbothered and unstressed by it. In fact it was quite dominant when in the main tank.

Thanks for the advice, I already have put some rocks in there.

Attachments

• IMG_1983 2.JPG
    IMG_1983 2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1986.jpg
    IMG_1986.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1987.jpg
    IMG_1987.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1990.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1992.jpg
    IMG_1992.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1993.jpg
    IMG_1993.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1994.jpg
    IMG_1994.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1997.jpg
    IMG_1997.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 125
It's not Lymphocystis.

Lymphocystis is a stress virus that causes small white or cream cauliflower growths on the edges of the fins and tail. When the stress is removed, the growths drop off and the fish looks normal again.

It's not Lymphocystis.

Lymphocystis is a stress virus that causes small white or cream cauliflower growths on the edges of the fins and tail. When the stress is removed, the growths drop off and the fish looks normal again.

Do you have any ideas of what it could be then?

which part are you referring to on the auratus, the pink bit behind the gill cover?
that looks like a gill tumour. again not much you can do to fix it. just keep the fish comfortable until they have trouble swimming or don't eat well, then euthanise them.

which part are you referring to on the auratus, the pink bit behind the gill cover?
that looks like a gill tumour. again not much you can do to fix it. just keep the fish comfortable until they have trouble swimming or don't eat well, then euthanise them.

I was referring to the dorsal fin. There are small hard lumps along the top of it, could this be calcification, disease or is this also tumour related?

The bit behind the gill is just a scrape, possibly from a fight although I see what you mean when looking at the picture.

These might be better to tell

Attachments

• IMG_2009.jpg
    IMG_2009.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2015.jpg
    IMG_2015.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2004.jpg
    IMG_2004.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 133

Most reactions