April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Lexi123

Reaction score
Iā€™ve had a ten gallon tank with one Blue Gourami for awhile now. I bought 2 neon tetras two weeks ago and just introduced them about a few days ago. I noticed that the Blue Gourami has been chasing them and harassing them. I thought it would stop if I re-arranged the tank and gave them a bit to get used to each other. However my neon tetras hide behind my filter and just look miserable hiding from the Gourami. How do I make them get along? Should I buy a few more neon tetras? Keep in mind I only have a 10 gallon.

You need to return the blue gourami. This is one of the most aggressive of the small/medium sized gourami. I was in a store one day observing two blue gourami circle and eat neons very easily; why the store had them in the same tank...who knows.

Your 10g is not really large enough for a blue gourami, since it will attain 4-5 inches, possibly even six inches, and it needs a larger tank, a 24-inch length like a 20g for itself.

A 10g is pretty small even for neons, but this would work better, with a group of 7-9 neon tetra. Tetra are shoaling fish and must be in a group of at least six, but a few more is always better for the fish. But with a blue gourami they will be mercilessly harassed and likely eaten.

Okay only problem is that I bought the Blue Goruami from Walmart ages ago (I know bad idea) and I doubt theyā€™d take it back. Would buying more help them shoaling and maybe make the Gourami less likely to go after them? I guess I just donā€™t know what to do. I have a small 3.5 gal tank for quarantine that my neons are in right now.

So long as the gourami is in the tank, you cannot add any other fish. Please don't, they will only be attacked. The gourami is known for this, and there is no way to get it to change its attitude.

If the gourami stays, the neons must go back. They will not be happy on their own in the smaller tank, long-term.

I'm sorry but you really have no other options.

Okay, Thank you! I might just have to use clove oil on the Blue Goruami or something. I donā€™t know what else to do with him, and I want to have a peaceful tank.

Do you know of any fishkeeping associations around you? It may be worth it to check out facebook for any in your area, and advertise him there. If you can't do that, look around for other fish stores that will let your surrender a fish, or (in you're comfortable with it, and in the US) advertise him on Craigslist. Craigslist probably won't get you quick results, though.

LyraGuppi mentioned exactly what just occurred to me, so try those ideas if you can.

Gourami are territorial fish, so this one undoubtedly sees the whole tank as its space. Even in larger tanks, other members have reported one of these gourami killing other fish.

I might just have to use clove oil on the Blue Goruami or something.

I strongly disagree with euthanizing the fish its not his fault, find him a new home.

And just for the record I am against using clove oil, if not done right it takes too long and causes stress.

The best way to do it,
Catch the fish in a net and using your thump and forefinger crush its head, the whole process takes a few seconds.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back