Help! My cories spawned! What do I do??

I'm gonna need a bigger tank, 'cos I want to keep all of 'em. Hope they all make it, 'cos I'm already attached and will cry like a little girl if any pass away.

LOL! I did reveal my internal monologue a bit there, didn't I :lol:

16 babies and counting, Ell! :yahoo:
Just a tad

Fantastic news! So much fun isn't it lol, messing about with different foods as they grow is enjoyable too. Wait til you stumble on pictures from 2 weeks before a notice how much growth fish can have in 2 weeks lol, it's insane!

I'm gonna need a bigger tank, 'cos I want to keep all of 'em. Hope they all make it, 'cos I'm already attached and will cry like a little girl if any pass away.
Natural to lose the weaker ones, no matter how hard you try, you've seen how its been for me at times lol. Sometimes they wont fully develop organs and what not, is what it is. All you can do is feed well and keep the water clean really. It's easy to get very attached, very fast isn't it :rofl:

Just a tad

Fantastic news! So much fun isn't it lol, messing about with different foods as they grow is enjoyable too. Wait til you stumble on pictures from 2 weeks before a notice how much growth fish can have in 2 weeks lol, it's insane!
I tried to get pics of them, but camera couldn't focus on them! So tiny, and so close in colour to the tuperware I've been using to check the bag and get the wrigglers. I can barely see them with the naked eye, let alone through the camera viewfinder. :lol:

I know some losses are almost inevitable, it happens, part of nature. But I'm so attached to them all already! And fretting over them constantly, lol. Can't wait to start feeding them, can you see them eat though??

I tried to get pics of them, but camera couldn't focus on them! So tiny, and so close in colour to the tuperware I've been using to check the bag and get the wrigglers. I can barely see them with the naked eye, let alone through the camera viewfinder. :lol:

I know some losses are almost inevitable, it happens, part of nature. But I'm so attached to them all already! And fretting over them constantly, lol. Can't wait to start feeding them, can you see them eat though??
Betta fry are exactly the same, takes a while for them to look like fish and not just beedy eyes lol. I couldn't see my fry eat until this stage tbh. Before that, I just kinda hoped that they were, then you can see them literally foraging for food, constantly lol. I found liquifry good for the beginning as the fry were growing from eating all the microorganisms in the water and I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they liquifry is what's feeding said microorganisms(?) then I move to microworms after a few weeks when they've grown a bit. I say the liquifry feeds the microorganisms because if memory serves my right, you start putting a few droplets of it in the tank, a few times a day, just before the eggs hatch so that it's there ready for when they start eating. You can seed things like moss and guppy grass with it too to move into breeding tanks which is what I've done

@NCaquatics @mbsqw1d what do I do?? I didn't even know they were spawning, just turned the tank lights on and found these!! They're quite high up near the surface. I didn't even water change yesterday or anything, maybe the water change the day before spurred them on?

What do I do??
View attachment 119179View attachment 119180View attachment 119181
Did you provide protection? Or at least tell them about the birds and the bees.? How do you know they are Cory eggs?

Haha, I didn't, I thought they were too young for the talk! :eek:

LOL, they looked like cory eggs, and the only livestock in the tank was the cories, and guppy fry. Guppies are too young, and don't lay eggs :D

Changed the tank water today, and the water in their outer tub and most of the little tub the fry are in. I did lose one little baby sadly, found one had died, but think I still have 17 or 18 babies :D One poor little dude is still half in the egg, hopefully he manages to pop himself free soon. No more eggs left to hatch, this is it!

Managed to get some photos in their pot by removing the IAL bits and putting a tank light over it! @NCaquatics , @Deanasue , @mbsqw1d @EllRog @Ch4rlie
DSCF4369.JPG
DSCF4364.JPG
DSCF4363.JPG
DSCF4362.JPG
DSCF4352.JPG
DSCF4349.JPG
DSCF4345.JPG
DSCF4344.JPG
DSCF4335.JPG
DSCF4333.JPG
DSCF4332.JPG

On the left towards the top is the little one that's still in the egg, you can just see a tail poking out, lol. The one at the top was an empty egg from one I moved over that hadn't escaped the egg yet, have removed that now.
DSCF4363.JPG

@NCaquatics They do seem darker than they did yesterday, do they get more colour in that first 24 hours after hatching? There's one here below that's much lighter than the others, is it possible that that one is an albino? Or maybe he was a later hatcher that hasn't coloured up much yet? Except that others that hatched today aren't as pale, that's the only one that looks so light. See him? Cluster of four of them at the top there, one has a much paler head and tail almost looks like a water spot, but it's a baby!
DSCF4369.JPG

Betta fry are exactly the same, takes a while for them to look like fish and not just beedy eyes lol. I couldn't see my fry eat until this stage tbh. Before that, I just kinda hoped that they were, then you can see them literally foraging for food, constantly lol. I found liquifry good for the beginning as the fry were growing from eating all the microorganisms in the water and I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they liquifry is what's feeding said microorganisms(?) then I move to microworms after a few weeks when they've grown a bit. I say the liquifry feeds the microorganisms because if memory serves my right, you start putting a few droplets of it in the tank, a few times a day, just before the eggs hatch so that it's there ready for when they start eating. You can seed things like moss and guppy grass with it too to move into breeding tanks which is what I've done
You can usually see their bellies get bigger. When you start to feed brine shrimp, their bellies will turn pink. So cute!

Can hardly see the tiny fry!!

Wow, that’s great :lol:

Assuming all remaining 17 or 18 fry survives, what the plan with these?

Do you plan on keeping all of them or taking to LFS?

Can hardly see the tiny fry!!

Wow, that’s great :lol:

Assuming all remaining 17 or 18 fry survives, what the plan with these?

Do you plan on keeping all of them or taking to LFS?
I don't think the tank could handle that many if they all made it, and I don't want to tempt fate by saying how many I might keep, in case I lose them all!

I did check with the store yesterday, and he'd want them, but I'd want to keep at least some of them. We shall see how many make it, if I get attached to individuals, if I can get my dad to fall in love with them and agree to cut the number of livebearers to bump up a larger cory school! ;)

But I've already lost one, trying to brace myself that chances of all of them making it are slim, just going to do the best I can for them and hope they do make it!

Can't decide whether I want the adults to spawn again or not now, lol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back