Help! My cories spawned! What do I do??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
@NCaquatics @mbsqw1d what do I do?? I didn't even know they were spawning, just turned the tank lights on and found these!! They're quite high up near the surface. I didn't even water change yesterday or anything, maybe the water change the day before spurred them on?

What do I do??
DSCF4028.JPG
DSCF4025.JPG
DSCF4022.JPG

Happy day...I think you have a gender reveal party in a dry, wooded area with a long, rich history of catching fire and then reveal the genders with pyrotechnics. Seems to be quite popular here in the US.
I so wanted to breed cories at some point, but I'm not ready!! Was not expecting this at all, they were only meant to be in this tank for quarantine! Was planning to move the adults this Tuesday.

I'm kinda panicking, lol.

Happy day...well, what did you expect to happen? You throw a bunch of young, frisky, nubile critters into an area that they find suitable for breeding and blammo, unintended pregnancies happen. Oh wait...I think that's called university. Well...how about just letting the quarantine tank be their tank? Its generally been my experience that fish breed in environments suitable to them and their young, so maybe find great comfort in how amazing your quarantine tank is and let nature take its course?

Happy day...I think you have a gender reveal party in a dry, wooded area with a long, rich history of catching fire and then reveal the genders with pyrotechnics. Seems to be quite popular here in the US.

Aaahhahaha that's hilarious.

@AdoraBelle Dearheart that's awesome - sorry about the unexpectedness though lol. I've read that even just being exposed to a gradual sunrise can cause Cory's to spawn but not sure.

What kind of Cory's are they anyway?

Best of luck regardless, sorry can't be of more help!

Happy day...well, what did you expect to happen? You throw a bunch of young, frisky, nubile critters into an area that they find suitable for breeding and blammo, unintended pregnancies happen. Oh wait...I think that's called university. Well...how about just letting the quarantine tank be their tank? Its generally been my experience that fish breed in environments suitable to them and their young, so maybe find great comfort in how amazing your quarantine tank is and let nature take its course?
Just been reading @NCaquatics advice about cory fry (she breeds cories, has raised so many fry) and think they need to be a smaller container when they first hatch, they're not very co-ordinated when they first hatch apparently, they might have a hard time finding food in a 12.5 gallon tank. Which is also full of guppy fry right now too... yikes. And they need almost complete daily water changes, my sand is dark, I'd never see the fry if they were roaming the whole tank.

Looking into rigging an old ice cream tub for the eggs now, since NC suggested that for when they're tiny. Also whether I need to order baby brine shrimp, never cultured live food before either.

I thought these guys were too young to spawn! They're not as big as the two adults I got them to go with. But apparently, they're big enough...!

The eggs might not even be fertile. Too early to tell.

I need NC to hold my hand and calm me down!

Aaahhahaha that's hilarious.

@AdoraBelle Dearheart that's awesome - sorry about the unexpectedness though lol. I've read that even just being exposed to a gradual sunrise can cause Cory's to spawn but not sure.

What kind of Cory's are they anyway?

Best of luck regardless, sorry can't be of more help!
Hahaha, thank you! They're bronze cories. I thought it would fun to breed them at some point, but thought I'd have to try, you know? And that I'd be ready and more prepared because I'd have had to try to induce spawning, you know.

I got these because my father's tank had only two bronze cories, so I got this group of four to bump up the school number. That's a large community tank, so any eggs would have definitely been eaten in there. These would have been moved out of quarantine a while ago but one developed some white patches on her head and sides, so they were in treatment for a while, and they've been all better for a bit, but hadn't got around to moving them yet. Now this! lol.

Really wasn't expecting this. Glad I at least have some First Bites on hand.

This tank is the one closest to the window, so the sunrises might have done it. I also have 37 guppy fry in there, have been feeding a lot of daphnia and cyclops, and the cories were getting tubifex and mysis/brine shrimp at times too, so I guess I accidentally conditioned them for breeding....!

@Ch4rlie ! @essjay ! Help me! lol. I'm a n00b, I wanna help the babies but I don't know what to do!

Calm me down at least! :lol:

At least guppy fry are too tiny to eat the eggs, and the eggs are high up the tank walls and I've distracted the adults with shrimp pellets, so hopefully they won't get eaten right away??

Hahaha, too funny.

Live brine shrimp isn't too hard to hard to manage, just make sure the eggs have a good hatch rate. You can buy little kits to use for them, but really just some empty bottles and an airline will work ok as well.

Yesterday, I forgot who, but someone on the forum had linked a cool video about diy brine shrimp hatching I'll link (wish I could remember who so I could give them credit for finding!). Probably be easier to just splice your current airline and run a hose in the brine shrimp bottle with valves than buying a whole new air pump. Think the little air flow control kits at the chain stores are only a couple bucks if you needed.

All I can say is - take some deep breaths then search for everything NCaquatics has written on hatching cories. I've only ever hatched a few pygmy cories by accident - I didn't even know there were eggs, the fry just appeared.
Thank you!
I just panicked, lol.

I've cleaned out a large margarine tub and a smaller round tub that can sit inside it. Now working out if I have what I need to run a second airline on the airpump I have for oxygenation

@Deanasue didn't you say you wanted to breed some cories? I seem to have accidentally made mine spawn!
Lots of frozen food and water changes seems to have done the trick, lol. I didn't mean to! Just because I had guppy fry in there!

Congrats! You can feed themHikari First Bites until you get your hatchery going. It’s so easy to make one. I recommend San Francisco Bay brine shrimp eggs. I do want to breed some but going to wait awhile since I scratched my cherry barb project. Have super fun with them. Egg layers are much more rewarding than live bearers. :).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back