Help! My cories spawned! What do I do??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
@NCaquatics @mbsqw1d what do I do?? I didn't even know they were spawning, just turned the tank lights on and found these!! They're quite high up near the surface. I didn't even water change yesterday or anything, maybe the water change the day before spurred them on?

What do I do??
View attachment 119179View attachment 119180View attachment 119181
Use a credit card or something like it to scrape them off the walls. Then put them in a breeders box until they hatch. That's all I remember, you can look up videos for more.

Use a credit card or something like it to scrape them off the walls. Then put them in a breeders box until they hatch. That's all I remember, you can look up videos for more.
Aaaww, thank you! I made that post back in 2020 though, that batch have grown up and gone to new homes, and have raised a few batches now! :D

Lots of different methods to collect the eggs, I like using an old gift/reward card to scrape the eggs from tank walls, and now I also hold a large fine net beneath the eggs as I scape them off so that any that fall, land in the net. Usually! Do you breed cories? Love those little fish!

Aaaww, thank you! I made that post back in 2020 though, that batch have grown up and gone to new homes, and have raised a few batches now! :D

Lots of different methods to collect the eggs, I like using an old gift/reward card to scrape the eggs from tank walls, and now I also hold a large fine net beneath the eggs as I scape them off so that any that fall, land in the net. Usually! Do you breed cories? Love those little fish!
It says it was made last Friday. Oops lol. I'd love to breed Cories but I don't have the time, money, or resources yet. I would be able to if I could get just a few more, but I have all males now and don't want to overstock.

It says it was made last Friday. Oops lol. I'd love to breed Cories but I don't have the time, money, or resources yet. I would be able to if I could get just a few more, but I have all males now and don't want to overstock.

Lol no worries, forums can be confusing sometimes, especially because this wound up becoming a stickied thread, so it's always at the top of the corydoras section. :D I made the first panic post in Oct 2020, when I'd had no intentions on breeding, they just surprised me! Haha. But some great people here talked me through it. It's a long thread with a lot of chatting. waffle and a bit of arguing if I remember rightly, but if you skim past all of that, you can get some great info from people much more experienced and talented at fishkeeping than I am.

Wise not to overstock! If you do have more space and want to breed them in future, they are a lot of fun to breed! Doesn't have to be expensive either? You really don't need a lot of equipment to raise cory fry - if you see back at the beginning of the thread, I set mine up in a breeder box with a pair of ladies tights stretched over the frame, and a cleaned out margarine container! Added an air bubbler and a few alder cones, and we were set! Raising them in the same water as the parents, but separated into their own safe container, means their water conditions remain stable. I don't have tons of money to spend on the hobby either, but raising some cory fry doesn't have to be expensive. :)

Having the time is another matter though! 😬

Adding one or two females to a group of males would almost certainly lead to some spawning. But you're right, there are some really great videos about how to raise them on youtube too. :) It's also very wise not to overstock.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back