The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Dopatri

Reaction score
UPDATE: Unfortunately my fish passed away shortly after posting this. I did however take some gorgeous shots of her scales. Iā€™m absolutely in awe of the photos. They look majestic, at least I can remember her by looking at these photos. I want to share them with you.

My female Betta isnā€™t looking too pretty lately. Iā€™m pretty sure sheā€™s dying. Sheā€™s lost colour around her face & belly and sheā€™s spending most of her days sunk at the bottom of the tank making gasping motions with her mouth. She had such a beautiful rich colour all over her before. Occasionally I see her trying to swim but really struggling, knocking into the tank decor, swimming a little sideways, and just sinking to the gravel afterwards. Iā€™ve even seen her at times just lying vertically with her head low and tail up high for a bit. Her fins are pretty torn up too. Iā€™ve treated the tank with eSHa 2000 a few times now over the last few weeks but it doesnā€™t seem to be helping. Iā€™ve changed the water a few times, I keep checking the water parameters and it always comes back fine, so Iā€™m not sure what else I can do at this point. She isnā€™t eating either. I donā€™t know if sheā€™s dying from old age or from something else. All the other female Bettas in the tank are fine and are leaving her well alone so I know they arenā€™t bullying her. Please can someone give some advice on what I can do to help her. I feel so sad to look at her like this, she was my first Betta. I only bought her a year ago. šŸ˜­ 2990AFFC-54D8-4F29-92CF-6FCD18364371.jpeg
CCF96EEE-9334-4335-B805-528538946134.jpeg

77125E3C-6B97-4D6B-9557-E53CE5B2C608.jpeg
76A69F31-EC90-4E47-AFC7-C62683F13D48.jpeg
B37A2847-911E-408F-A7B0-E7F6667D1897.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your poor betta :( . You say all the parameters are normal and you've done water changes, but could you give some specifics? And from the photo it looks like her scales are sticking out? Or is it my eyesight? Any details you could give would be really helpful.

we can't give a proper diagnosis without water parameters, but the symptoms consistent with dropsy and fin rot.
if the fish is showing external signs, such as, in advanced stages, protruding scales, then organ failure has occurred and it's progressed so far that it's untreatable.
yeah i don't know what to tell you. since dropsy is mostly caused by inadequate care, leading to a compromised immune system, there isn't much you can do other than provide good water and living conditions for the other fish.
although i could be wrong in my "diagnosis," because i've only had one fish with dropsy. it was in its very early stages and the fish managed to recover. in my experience, i've never seen protruding scales before, i've only read about it online, so maybe someone with better experience can give you something more in-depth.

Iā€™d have to agree with the above. Itā€™s impossible to tell exactly but symptoms point to dropsy. Iā€™ve had one fish perish long ago same symptoms. Itā€™s sad especially when you know itā€™s too far gone. Iā€™m no fish expert but I have had a fish perish that way in the past.

Most reactions

trending

Back