Help Mini Cycle!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Neo8223

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all. I just did a really stupid typical schoolboy error. I changed my filter a week ago with a different one, not really thinking about the cycling times. I kept both filters in for 2 days, then removed the old one. To add to this, i had only added more fish about 4 days before. Having only a 2.7 Gallon tank, i always do water changes every 2 days, adding aqua safe every time. (Normally 10%) 3 days ago, my water parameters were 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia, pH 6. This morning, amonia was 6.0, nitrite was.... off the scale :S (about 25 or so)

Just before i posted this message, i made the executive decision to do a huge partial water change of 60%, using my fathers 72 Gallon tank as the source of water. Thus in theory, i would treat the matter as if i was introducing new fish into an aquarium. (add a bit of water, let them adapt for 10 mins, add a bit more water, let them adapt)

My current water stats are 1 amonia, and 1 nitrite

I tested the 72 Gall tank water parameters, top marks. 0 for both nitrite and ammonia.

These parameters were all measured in mgl.

What should i do next?... My dad is happy for me to use as much water as i need from his tank.

A 2.7G tank isn't really big enough for very much. What kind of fish do you have and how many?

I wouldn't use something like that for more than a single betta or maybe a couple of neons or a guppy.

Can you get your dad to give you some filter media from his filter? Just a small piece that you could add to the filter reservoir in your filter would almost instantly cycle a normal bioload or at least help a lot. If you have too many fish, then add more filter media. This could be a piece of sponge, polypad, floss, etc.

If you are severely overstocked, then there isn't much that will improve your water quality other than doing daily or twice daily PWC's to keep down the levels.

you don't need to take water from yuor dads tank, the filter bacteria you want are sessile, meaning they live attached to things (primarily your filter media) not free swimming in the water.

using your dads water will do diddly squat except add extra nitrates and risk cross contamination.

however if your dad's tank is 72 gallons and yours is 2.7 i would imagine he has more than enough filter media to fill up your filter so I'd recommend taking his media which should sort it straight away.

Right... Just got back form the hospital and did what the advice jst told me.

A 2.7G tank isn't really big enough for very much. What kind of fish do you have and how many?

I wouldn't use something like that for more than a single betta or maybe a couple of neons or a guppy.

Can you get your dad to give you some filter media from his filter? Just a small piece that you could add to the filter reservoir in your filter would almost instantly cycle a normal bioload or at least help a lot. If you have too many fish, then add more filter media. This could be a piece of sponge, polypad, floss, etc.

If you are severely overstocked, then there isn't much that will improve your water quality other than doing daily or twice daily PWC's to keep down the levels.

Have 10 endlers in the tank. Using the rule of the longest side of the tank must be higher than the total length of all the fish, its not overstocked.

you don't need to take water from yuor dads tank, the filter bacteria you want are sessile, meaning they live attached to things (primarily your filter media) not free swimming in the water.

using your dads water will do diddly squat except add extra nitrates and risk cross contamination.

however if your dad's tank is 72 gallons and yours is 2.7 i would imagine he has more than enough filter media to fill up your filter so I'd recommend taking his media which should sort it straight away.

Added the bio filter part of his tank to mine. (the cherio looking things) and broke off a load of filter wool. How long will the nitrogen cycle take to fix?

***********Edit************ might not have added enough filter wool, adding more.

depends how quickly your tank turnsover water i would expect, be patient, i'd expect it to have sorted itself within a day or so.

Thanks all, its now going down. i checked this morning and nitrites are less than 1. i left a huge clump of the filter from the 72 gall in the tank last night and it seems to be working :D

Have 10 endlers in the tank. Using the rule of the longest side of the tank must be higher than the total length of all the fish, its not overstocked.

I can't say that I've ever heard this "rule". How does this work? Something seems to be missing.

That's a new one to me, too. Sounds like info from a bad shop or a well-meaning friend. It's nonsense, either way.

can anyone answer my question?! ive got a filter that has got these special pads you insert and then replace every four weeks (they contain active carbon) but how can i keep the tank cycled if i keep replacing the filter medium!? confused here!

can anyone answer my question?! ive got a filter that has got these special pads you insert and then replace every four weeks (they contain active carbon) but how can i keep the tank cycled if i keep replacing the filter medium!? confused here!
bacteria will be on the gravel, on the glass, etc....

Read my blog article on Filter Maintenance and Cleaning. It specifically addresses your questions. There is no need to change the filter every four weeks... but you do need to dump the carbon.
http://goldlenny.blogspot.com/2007/02/noti...-important.html
Good topic. Learnd a lot! Including the alternative to carbon.

Update on my cycle.... Down to <0.3 mg/l for nitrite and 0.5mg/l for ammonia.

I've reduced my amount of my dads filter media by 2/3 and added some extra balls that i had spare when setting up my eheim 2232 (2nd and 3rd stage filteration, where all the bacteria gets homed.) I have left the other media to one side, outside my tank, filled up with tank water, thus to not kill the bacteria, and will test the water later tonight fr drastic water parameter changes. If there are none, i'll put it back in my dads tank.

Heres what my filter looks like now after heavy modding :D There seems to be no change in flow rates what so ever.
e0357f5b.jpg

Here were my origonal test results.... Shocking eh :crazy:

bef6a8af.JPG

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back