The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

folyet

Reaction score
I am really getting excited about setting up a tank with sand
I see all these pictures of tanks with nice black sand

My question is this, Does play sand come in black, or is it only just white

I have seen playsand at garden store and it is very cheap...like 4 or 5 dollars for a 10 or 20 pound bag approx

play sand comes in just one colour to my knowledge.

Choosing the right sand
The choice of sand is very important. Some sand will have no effect on water chemistry while some will buffer the GH/KH and/or pH. In addition, the cost and availability of the sand may also have an influence on your choice.

We can divide sand materials commonly used in two category: silica based sand and calcium based sand. The first category of sand should have no influence on the water chemistry while the other will buffer the pH and/or GH/KH. An African cichlid tank will probably benefit from calcium based sand while American cichlid tank will do much better with a sand what wonā€™t change the water chemistry.

If unsure, the best thing to do is to test the sand before to use it. To do so, simply put some sand in a jar with water and test the water after a few days.
Silica-based sand
The types of silica sand typically used in aquarium are play sand, pool filter sand (sold for use in swimming pool filters), sandblasting sand, and some other sand labeled for use in freshwater aquariums. The grain size and shape may vary from one to an other but at the end, they are all silica sand.

Play sand
CEC : Low
Inert : Should be (assuming it is pure quartz). May contain calcium carbonate which may raise your pH undesirably.
Organic : No
Advantages:Look very natural and is cheap. The particles in play sand are usually too small and have very sharp edges.
Inconvenient: The particles are really small and can get sucked into the filtration system and completely destroy pumps in hours. So make sure to keep your pumps away from the substrate.

Pool Filtration Sand
Inert : Yes
Advantages:The grain is smooth and round: no sharp edges. Even if it gets into your filtration system, it is not nearly as destructive as other type of sand. The best part of pool filter sand is the appearance; it looks very natural and the fish seem to love it. It is heavier than play sand. Pool filter sand is generally clean so less need to wash it before to add it to the tank.
Inconvenients: May be expensive.

Sandblasting sand
Inert : Yes. Assuming the silica sand you obtain is pure quartz, it is no more soluble than the glass (also a silicate) that makes up your fish tank.
Advantages: Can be purchased in different grades that would allow for a large enough grain to ensure it would not be sucked into a filter.
Inconvenient: The main problem with sandblasting sand is cost (50 pounds can be around $100)

Calcium-based sand
Unless I am wrong, most calcium-based sand on the market are actually made of crushed coral, also known as aragonite. They are usually available in various grain size, from very small to very big. Aragonite sand is commonly used to buffer the water in African cichlid tanks and saltwater aquarium.
Coral or Aragonite sand
Inert : Should be. May contain calcium carbonate which may raise your pH undesirably.
Organic : No. Will buffer your pH.
Advantages: A good choice if you need to stabilize your PH or improve your buffering capacity.
Inconvenient: It is fairly expensive.

Washing the sand
Whatever the sand you chose it is very important to wash it before to use it. Some sand such as pool filtration sand might not need to be washed as much as play sand but still, it is always a good idea to give it a good wash. If you donā€™t, chances are to cloud the water. Washing the sand is easy. Simply put the sand in a pillow case or a large paint strainer (my personal favorite) and run the hose in it.

Conclusion
Once weā€™ve decided if the substrate should buffer the water or not, there is no much choice left. At this point, price, the grain size and the colour are the main feature to look at.

Choosing the right sand
The choice of sand is very important. Some sand will have no effect on water chemistry while some will buffer the GH/KH and/or pH. In addition, the cost and availability of the sand may also have an influence on your choice.

We can divide sand materials commonly used in two category: silica based sand and calcium based sand. The first category of sand should have no influence on the water chemistry while the other will buffer the pH and/or GH/KH. An African cichlid tank will probably benefit from calcium based sand while American cichlid tank will do much better with a sand what wonā€™t change the water chemistry.

If unsure, the best thing to do is to test the sand before to use it. To do so, simply put some sand in a jar with water and test the water after a few days.
Silica-based sand
The types of silica sand typically used in aquarium are play sand, pool filter sand (sold for use in swimming pool filters), sandblasting sand, and some other sand labeled for use in freshwater aquariums. The grain size and shape may vary from one to an other but at the end, they are all silica sand.

Play sand
Inert : Should be (assuming it is pure quartz). May contain calcium carbonate which may raise your pH undesirably.
Advantages:Look very natural and is cheap. The particles in play sand are usually too small and have very sharp edges.
Inconvenient: The particles are really small and can get sucked into the filtration system and completely destroy pumps in hours. So make sure to keep your pumps away from the substrate.

Pool Filtration Sand
Advantages:The grain is smooth and round: no sharp edges. Even if it gets into your filtration system, it is not nearly as destructive as other type of sand. The best part of pool filter sand is the appearance; it looks very natural and the fish seem to love it. It is heavier than play sand. Pool filter sand is generally clean so less need to wash it before to add it to the tank.

Sandblasting sand
Inert : Yes. Assuming the silica sand you obtain is pure quartz, it is no more soluble than the glass (also a silicate) that makes up your fish tank.
Advantages: Can be purchased in different grades that would allow for a large enough grain to ensure it would not be sucked into a filter.
Inconvenient: The main problem with sandblasting sand is cost (50 pounds can be around $100)

Calcium-based sand
Unless I am wrong, most calcium-based sand on the market are actually made of crushed coral, also known as aragonite. They are usually available in various grain size, from very small to very big. Aragonite sand is commonly used to buffer the water in African cichlid tanks and saltwater aquarium.
Coral or Aragonite sand
Inert : Should be. May contain calcium carbonate which may raise your pH undesirably.
Advantages: A good choice if you need to stabilize your PH or improve your buffering capacity.

Washing the sand
Whatever the sand you chose it is very important to wash it before to use it. Some sand such as pool filtration sand might not need to be washed as much as play sand but still, it is always a good idea to give it a good wash. If you donā€™t, chances are to cloud the water. Washing the sand is easy. Simply put the sand in a pillow case or a large paint strainer (my personal favorite) and run the hose in it.

Conclusion
Once weā€™ve decided if the substrate should buffer the water or not, there is no much choice left. At this point, price, the grain size and the colour are the main feature to look at.
this should be made a sticky at the top of the forum with just some info on where to get the best and cheapest from in the UK and USA.

OK So if you say play sand has very sharp edges, would it harm Kuhli loaches who love to dig into it, or corys who like to play in it?

as for pool filtration sand (which I have never heard of before), would that be more likeable to corys and kuhlis...and does it come in different colours?

sorry I am not knowledgeable in this topic but really want to try and see how it looks in my tank

i know of at least 10 people on this forum who use playsand. some own corys. some own kuhlis and all are fine. the sand is so fine the sharp edges wont hurt anything.

i have argos playsand and own corys and they love it. they dig in it so it cant be that bad for them.

as for colour i think b&q playsand is the darkest in terms of sand "colour" and argos seems to be the lightest. i dont think it comes in any other colours like black/white though.

Choosing the right sand

Silica-based sand

Play sand

Pool Filtration Sand

Sandblasting sand

Calcium-based sand
Coral or Aragonite sand

Washing the sand

Conclusion
this should be made a sticky at the top of the forum with just some info on where to get the best and cheapest from in the UK and USA.
+1 on the sticky. well written and accurate

Just wanted to add Silica sand. Not expensive and takes less time to wash than play sand. Very light in color and seems a little heavier than other sands. Can get this at menards or home depot less than $6.00 for 100lb bag.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back