HELP ME PLEASE

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

h3nrypearce

Reaction score
hello, my Texan blue Cichlid I think has had its scales burnt off by too much chlorine, the other Cichlid has took advantage and started to injure its tails and fins to the point where I went in and it was lead on the bottom of the tank not moving but still breathing, I have separated it into a bucket with regular water changes and stable water temperature, what can I do to nurture it back to health, to help it, or what is wrong with it?

it is the only gosh it has happened to, scales gone and fins are shredded not in good condition

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 44
What do you mean too much chlorine? Shouldn't be any chlorine in the tank? Poor thing, looks like it's a goner mate, sorry ?

As someone else asked, do you use a dechlorinator? Clean water will be the best for him to help him regrow his fins/scales. You will have to be diligent to stop any secondary infections and use a declinator like Prime or Safe with any and every water change. Set up a QT tub/tank with a filter that has some media from the other tank and watch water parameters, don't forget to add a heater. Watch the water parameters, any ammonia/nitrate will not be good. Hope he makes it.

TBH, he looks like he is not going to make it.

If he does not perk up in the next 24 hrs, I would recommend Euthanizing him.

As others have stated - what do you mean "touching chlorine". There should be 0 chlorine in the aquarium; so how did he come into contact with it?

Additionally, what are the parameters of the tank? What are the tankmates?

hello, my Texan blue Cichlid I think has had its scales burnt off by too much chlorine, the other Cichlid has took advantage and started to injure its tails and fins to the point where I went in and it was lead on the bottom of the tank not moving but still breathing, I have separated it into a bucket with regular water changes and stable water temperature, what can I do to nurture it back to health, to help it, or what is wrong with it?
I would put him in a quarantine tank by himself(if you can). Treat it with the proper amount of dechlorination in the tank. Leave him be and once he gets better put him in a tank with other fish that won't pick on him or that he won't pick on. Doesn't look in good condition though.

Hi! To dechlorinate your water, I recommend Seachem Prime. Do you use any kind of dechlorinator now?

Can you tell us

Tank size
Tank mates
Decor (in case he is injuring himself on something inside the tank)

A photo of the tank might be helpful?

If you use A heater in your main tank, the fish will benefit from having one in the bucket To maintain the temps. Be careful though, is there any chance it could have burned by the heater, rather than chlorine?

I agree with OliveFish05 you want a heater in that small bucket(get a betta heater though because those are usually pretty weak but will get the job done in situations like this). But if you can get a quarantine tank because that bucket won't help for too long. He needs to be in a small tank with a filter if possible. If possible put the tank water into the quarantine tank. Remember this isn't long-term.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back