Help me please

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

RachelC

Reaction score
Hi I donā€™t know if Iā€™m in the right forum sorry if I am in the wrong one ! I just want to know about medications...I have ich in my tank and Iā€™ve been using blue planet ich treatment but itā€™s not working can I switch to a different medication like blue planet multi cure or will that do something to the fish? Should I just stick to the ich treatment or should it be fine to switch. Thanks for your your help and input

I would stick with the treatment you are using for now. @Colin_T is the fish guru here and knows literally everything so he should be able to help you better than me :)

If you want to use chemicals to treat white spot do the following things.
Work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these so you get a more accurate water volume.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.
You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using salt or medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

----------------------
Make sure you use the medication for at least 4 days after the last white dots have disappeared from the fish.

The other way of treating white spot is with heat. Raise the water temperature to 30C and keep it there for 2 weeks. No chemicals needed.

There's more information about white spot at the following link. The first post on page 1 and 2 have the info.

If you want to use chemicals to treat white spot do the following things.
Work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these so you get a more accurate water volume.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.
You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using salt or medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

----------------------
Make sure you use the medication for at least 4 days after the last white dots have disappeared from the fish.

The other way of treating white spot is with heat. Raise the water temperature to 30C and keep it there for 2 weeks. No chemicals needed.

There's more information about white spot at the following link. The first post on page 1 and 2 have the info.
Thank you so much :)

Most reactions

trending

Back