Help Me! More Fish Than A House Could Home!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LeahMay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Right, Mother see's my new tank and decides she'll save the world. I NEED  some way of getting these fish into 3 tanks. 
Tank 1: 6ft 640L
Tank 2: 80L
Tank 3: 40L

I have all of the following fish!

11 zebra danio
6 leopard danio
9 penguin tetra
9 black neon tetra
15 neon tetra
6 oto
6 female betta
1 male betta
6 honey gourami
2 3-spot gourami (female)
1 golden gourami (male)
2 pearl gourami (female)
1 ruby shark
9 angel fish

This through no fault of my own has got out of hand and i would REALLY like some input as to what i can do!!! 
Buying more fish is an option but getting rid is extremely hard without just killing them as the lfs aren't the nicest of people.

OMG What happened? She was saving them by buying them from a fish shop?

I want the male betta and the neons in the 80 liter.
I want the 6 female bettas in the 40 liter.
Other than that you'll need a new tank. :/

No some lady was missold a load of fish and Mum decided that 'my big tank' would be enough room for some. And on top of that my 4th tank decided it would break! :'(
There is no chance i can buy a new tank right now. I need something that will work for now. Until i have the opportunity to give away/get new.

The size of the fish would probably help you, the last 5 on the list are relatively young/small for the species they are. So could probably carefully over stock until they've grown out a bit?

I'm in a bit of a pickle. :(

• Just an idea, lots of eBay complete setups around 4ft often go for £100 or less, might be able to get it cycled up in no time by switching one of your current filters, or the one from your broken tank if it's still wet.

Eventually is fine, as i plan to go bigger and better once funds allow and in the mean time a few smaller set ups can be purchased once i'm able to work again. But until then i have to make do with what i've got.
I didn't post this to be lectured, I have kept fish for years and i do know what they need but i cannot do that as i have been given fish that cannot be returned. I simply wondered if someone could advice me of a sensible set up that will bide me some time for now.

TallTree01 said:
I like this one! :nod:

TallTree you're confusing me and probably Leah as well - what about her 6ft tank?

So then which fish need to go in the new tank?

TallTree01 said:
I agree with this..and the rest in the 640l

LeahMay said:
No some lady was missold a load of fish  Happens far too often.

and Mum decided that 'my big tank' would be enough room for some. Parents can be so considerate sometimes.

And on top of that my 4th tank decided it would break! :'(  When it rains, it pours.
There is no chance i can buy a new tank right now. I need something that will work for now. Until i have the opportunity to give away/get new.  Top priority is what to do NOW.  Got it.

The size of the fish would probably help you, the last 5 on the list are relatively young/small for the species they are. So could probably carefully over stock until they've grown out a bit?  Yes, LFS can get away with fish that normally shouldn't be kept together all together because of the fact that they are juvies.

I'm in a bit of a pickle.
sad.png
  Yup.

Prioritizing is the key here.

Male betta is going to need to be in the 40L.  I'd also put the 6 otos in there with him.

Female bettas going in the 80L makes sense as well.  I'd put the black neons in there as well.  If the females are persnickety... Move the male and otos to the 80L with the black neons and leave the females in the 40L alone.

In the 640L you are going to have to put the rest of the fish.  Here is where the prioritizing really comes in.  Which fish need to be removed (given away or isolated) first.  The ruby shark  and angels would be the top priority for me.   The danios, tetras, honey gourami should be fine together.  The additional gouramis may be an issue all together, so that would be the next priority.  Not sure how opaline and pearls get along with each other or with honeys. 

You asked us here to 'fill your tank' for you.  Well, someone else must have heard!  Did your mom leave ANYTHING with the lady she got these fish from?  Does she have a set-up that you could use while you are sorting this mess out?  Is there a chance you could give her back a few of these fish, or does she still have a mess of fish left herself?

Thankyou Eagles for understanding the help I needed!
Yesterday these fish were in buckets so I've had to do something, fortunately its very similar to what you have said above only the penguins and the NT are in the 80L with the male fighter and the females and BNT are in the 40.
The said lady was sold a biorb with 12 fish and no heater. Once my mum had *kindly* took them off her she apparently went and purchased 6 goldfish. Some people will never learn.

Yes when it rains it certainly does pour for me! But thank you for this advice once again, its exactly what I needed.

Can you put a divider into the 6ft tank? I know when I had 3 spot gouramis (don't forget golden is just a colour morph) they hated other gouramis and would often squabble amongst themselves so it could be a good idea to separate them from the pearls and honeys.  

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back