Help me justify the set up cost :D

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ami-Jane

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Been lurking in the background for a little while so thought would take the plunge (haha!) and sign up.

Bit of background, I had a few tanks around over 10 years ago including a lovely 6ft coldwater tank with fancy goldfish but got far too attached and upset when I lost them after so many years so when lost the last one the tanks all went at my parents.

I've had my own place for some time now and although don't have the space for a 6ft again I'm thinking of getting back in to the hobby but this time going down the tropical route.

Been looking at the Aqua One 110 but after some research I'm now thinking of going for the Juwel Lido 120 or 200 as I've had Juwel tanks before.

Pricing everything up has been a bit eye watering. Don't remember it all costing this years ago lol

Everything I need for the Lido 120 is coming in at around £700 and the Lido 200 at around £850.

Trying to convince myself to start it all up again. Give me some reasons lol

If you enjoy it and can afford it then that’s all the justification you need. :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Been lurking in the background for a little while so thought would take the plunge (haha!) and sign up.

Bit of background, I had a few tanks around over 10 years ago including a lovely 6ft coldwater tank with fancy goldfish but got far too attached and upset when I lost them after so many years so when lost the last one the tanks all went at my parents.

I've had my own place for some time now and although don't have the space for a 6ft again I'm thinking of getting back in to the hobby but this time going down the tropical route.

Been looking at the Aqua One 110 but after some research I'm now thinking of going for the Juwel Lido 120 or 200 as I've had Juwel tanks before.

Pricing everything up has been a bit eye watering. Don't remember it all costing this years ago lol

Everything I need for the Lido 120 is coming in at around £700 and the Lido 200 at around £850.

Trying to convince myself to start it all up again. Give me some reasons lol
As long as you have the funds, then id say got for it!

I work all of my "fish money" into my monthly budget. If I dont have enough for something I want that month, I save up for it next month. Just a tip. ;)

I cruise Gumtree (the equivalent in North America is probably Craigslist) when I'm after a fish tank. I got a 240L tank with cabinet, a light, and a Fluval 306 filter for £130. I added two heaters, around £30 each, and replaced the lighting with a Fluval Aquasky, which cost around £65 on ebay. All in, not too bad given what it is.

I'm currently waiting for Gumtree to provide a Fluval Roma 125. The downside is that you might have to be patient in order to get the thing you want, but it will save you a lot of money.

2x on the used tank. There is so many people just dying to get rid of tanks and equipment. Many times you get a ton of gear for pretty much free.

Last tank I bought would have cost probably 10 times more if I were to buy it new. The light fixture alone was worth more than I payed for everything if I were to buy it new.

Obviously we're going to say go for it. After the tank is all set up it is a relatively inexpensive hobby.

If you enjoy it and can afford it then thar’s all the justification you need. :)
Its your money and s long as you can afford it you don't have to justify it :).
What everyone says about used tanks is true. Sadly a lot of people don't take the time to understand cycling (and the LFS staff don't tell them) and get discouraged and give up after the 3rd or 4th batch of fish dies. But ...
I have one used tank and one budget tank (as well as an Aqua One that I bought new). In each case the fish cost me more than the tank anyway :rolleyes: - not the aqua one because I transferred existing fish into it. Don't try to justify it, if its what you want go for it.

Thanks everyone! Will check out gumtree and the like and also will keep an eye out for the black Friday sale!

Got an idea of the fish I would like so no doubt will be back posting for an idea of number. Think have a sensible list ;)

I don't know what they do to get rid of unwanted household items in Jolly Old England but here in the Colonies we have garage sales and almost every garage sale has an old aquarium. The added side benefit of garage sales is you can dicker them down.

In the UK they are called car boot sales, but with big tanks you won't find many people packing them into a car and taking them to a muddy field to sell them. (In the UK cars have boots; in the US you have trunks)

That's right :)

In the UK, hoods are generally the soft top you pull over an open topped sports car when it's cold/wet.

And we use our garages for storing junk while the cars live on the driveways.

Black Friday coming up :D Plus maybe see if there's a local fish group near you? You could trade or buy off them for probably much cheaper than buying new in the store. You could also look at local groups for sourcing your fish, which could save some money.

Setting up our 38 gal bowfront from nothing has cost us all together around $750. The hubs is wanting to set up a second, even bigger tank so we're a bit in the same boat as you in justifying the cost.

I guess a good thing about it is it's a large investment but for a long term payout. It might seem like a lot all at once, but if you're going to have a fishtank for the forseeable future, you'll be investing 600-800$ but it's something that is going to last for potentially over a decade, so the cost starts to even out when you look long term.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back