Help me identify those fish please :)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Sorry they are Pristella maxillaris. The bottom one is an odd ball, and I would need to see it in person to be able to identify it.

If you google Pristella tetras and Hyphessobrycon griemi, then compare the anal fin, you will see a difference. The Pristella has white, black & yellow on the dorsal and anal fin, but the H. griemi doesn't have this colour on the anal fin.

The bottom fish looks more like a rosy tetra than a red phantom. Rosy tetras have 2 red dots/ marks on the tail, whereas red phantom tetras have a completely red tail. But it is a weird one and might be a new colour variety from a different habitat.

If you google Pristella tetras and Hyphessobrycon griemi, then compare the anal fin, you will see a difference. The Pristella has white, black & yellow on the dorsal and anal fin, but the H. griemi doesn't have this colour on the anal fin.

The bottom fish looks more like a rosy tetra than a red phantom. Rosy tetras have 2 red dots/ marks on the tail, whereas red phantom tetras have a completely red tail. But it is a weird one and might be a new colour variety from a different habitat.
The photos I have of griemi don't have the dorsal markings of the fish shown.

Like this
20211209_201152.jpg

The photos I have of griemi don't have the dorsal markings of the fish shown.
Funny thing is that all the Hyphessobrycon species have very variable appearances.
Byron recenty placed an article that some fish (I believe Black Phantoms) are Black in our tanks but red in the wild.
Pics on H.griemi extremley differ and there are pics of H.sweglesi that show patterns as the pristellas as well.
I think another issue is that this causes a lot of mixing up if fish.
A lot of pics of Corys on the internet are wrong as well.
But as said earlier : The shape of the fish doesn't look like Pristellas.

I'm at a loss, I really have no idea. I think my assumption about being Pistellas is wrong. But I cannot find this fish anywhere

A lot of pics of Corys on the internet are wrong as well.
It's not just Corydoras that are incorrectly labelled on the interweb thingy. A lot of pictures of fish online have the wrong name. I have seen Melanotaenia lacustris (blue rainbowfish from New Guinea) given all sorts of scientific and common names and none of them match the fish. I have seen barbs with incorrect names, lots of South American cichlids get names that don't match their pictures.

It's not just Corydoras that are incorrectly labelled on the interweb thingy. A lot of pictures of fish online have the wrong name. I have seen Melanotaenia lacustris (blue rainbowfish from New Guinea) given all sorts of scientific and common names and none of them match the fish. I have seen barbs with incorrect names, lots of South American cichlids get names that don't match their pictures.
We have a kind of Gumtree here called Martktplaats. Allmost any pic used that is not of the original fish and taken from the internet is incorrect.

Aeneus albino = Pic is a Paleatus albino
Aeneus bronze = Pic is of a C.eques
etc... hahaha

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211209-095428_Marktplaats.jpg
    Screenshot_20211209-095428_Marktplaats.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 32

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back