Help me identify those fish please :)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Minilee

Reaction score
FA27FE11-ED58-468D-B608-EC31A2C356CC.png
So iā€™ve had those tetras for a little while, labeled as x-ray (pristella) tetras. They dont seem to have that iconic yellow bottom fin.. and are more nippy then expected.
Could it be something else? I thought about red phantom ā€¦ any help will be appreciated. Thanks ! :)

Interesting. I even think there are two different species Hyphessobrycon in the pic. Under looks like a Rosy tetra.
Searching for the other two. Maybe a variaty of H.sweglesi ?

Very interesting ideas you have there, thanks for your input!
Also you are totally right, i clearly have 2 species in my group of 12. I couldnā€™t tell when i bought them but now it starts to really show.
Also explains why they keep nipping my angels!

What type of fish is that two toned fish at top left?Post a better pic of it.

The black and white fish with its head cropped off is a yoyo loach, but I have no idea what the three tetras are :huh:

Top fish with stripes is a Botia lohachata (Pakistani loach). Does best in groups of at least 6 or more.

The 2 tetras next to each other look like pristella tetras.

The tetra under them is either a rosy or red phantom tetra.

Top fish with stripes is a Botia lohachata (Pakistani loach). Does best in groups of at least 6 or more.

The 2 tetras next to each other look like pristella tetras.

The tetra under them is either a rosy or red phantom tetra.
I seriously doubt they are Pristellas.
Shapewise and colorwise (fish + anal fin)

@Minilee
You should enter the yoyo loach in the Fish of the Month contest which is featuring oddball fish.

Thanks for the help! More Local fish store misinformation lmao.
The tetras are easy to mix up. The fish in the picture resemble Pristella tetras, however, as pointed out by @DoubleDutch, the anal fin didn't have the colour that Pristellas have.

The fish would have been sent to the importers as Pristella tetras and would be faded in the bags and the quarantine tanks. Quarantine tanks are usually bare glass tanks with no substrate, plants or ornaments, and most don't have a picture on the back. The fish would not have shown much if any colour in their fins and this would easily lead people to think they are Pristellas. At first glance they looked like Pristellas to me too so it's an easy mistake.

This is not necessarily the pet shop's fault. It falls back onto whoever sent the fish to your country.

The tetras are easy to mix up. The fish in the picture resemble Pristella tetras, however, as pointed out by @DoubleDutch, the anal fin didn't have the colour that Pristellas have.

The fish would have been sent to the importers as Pristella tetras and would be faded in the bags and the quarantine tanks. Quarantine tanks are usually bare glass tanks with no substrate, plants or ornaments, and most don't have a picture on the back. The fish would not have shown much if any colour in their fins and this would easily lead people to think they are Pristellas. At first glance they looked like Pristellas to me too so it's an easy mistake.

This is not necessarily the pet shop's fault. It falls back onto whoever sent the fish to your country.
Yeah! Youā€™re totally right. Mistakes happen, so many tetras look similar. I donā€™t blame the guys that sold me those, tho catching these guys is a pain in the a** right now šŸ˜…

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back