FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Mizz_MayDK

Reaction score
Iā€™m trying something new ..... live plants in 2 of my tanks. But for what ever the reason I simply donā€™t remember the name.... so please help me?
They donā€™t get any bigger than what you see in the pictures but they multiply quickly
95BFDF2D-000C-4413-8375-53DDA874F45B.jpeg

9065D7D8-7815-4F71-B7A6-ECB1B2EB03A6.jpeg

4F4F90C5-391B-42C7-BDD9-F0A9E0A3E766.jpeg

It's either duckweed or frogbit....for your sake (and sanity), I hope it's frogbit

What's the issue with duckweed?
It grows like mad, overtaking everything in it's path...clogs filters...the tiniest piece can take over the surface of the tank water quickly, choking out light...it's a pest plant, IMO

It's not frogbit or duckweed, it's salvinia, though I don't know which species. I used to have some :)

Frogbit has smooth leaves - that's what I have now. The plants in post #1 have hairy leaves and the salvinia I used to have had hairy leaves.

Edit - there are 3 species of salvinia commonly sold - natans, minima and auriculata.

Water spangles is another name for Salvinia minima, so you got it right :)
Good to know...here in Texas, that stuff (the "giant" variety) is much hated, an invasive species, chokes out native species and clogs boating waterways

It's not frogbit or duckweed, it's salvinia, though I don't know which species. I used to have some :)

Frogbit has smooth leaves - that's what I have now. The plants in post #1 have hairy leaves and the salvinia I used to have had hairy leaves.

Edit - there are 3 species of salvinia commonly sold - natans, minima and auriculata.
Took a closer look and a new pic. - and your right - its spangles :)
BDD999AC-4B32-4C76-B200-D4240BB11E9D.jpeg

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back