Help me identify this fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

biofish

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I was just at my LFS buying snails and saw this little guy and I looked at him and he looked and me and I looked at him and I think we soul bonded.

I wanted to bring him home so bad but impulse fish buying has more than burned me in the past and I couldn’t for the life of me find the little label identifying him. And I didn’t wanna ask because the store owners are the type where once they get talking they will talk your ear off for 40+ minutes. So. Help me identify this little guy please 🥺

Attachments

• 8D6D40EA-4C4E-4FBE-9112-BBD933463B82.jpeg
    8D6D40EA-4C4E-4FBE-9112-BBD933463B82.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 193066A6-2ADC-4F9C-B6A1-A6C3FF7725BB.jpeg
    193066A6-2ADC-4F9C-B6A1-A6C3FF7725BB.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 76
It looks like an Anableps to me. Look them up and see if it fits. If I'm right, it isn't an impulse fish, but I've fallen for them in public aquariums.
I think your right. After 5 minutes of reading about them I’m very glad I resisted the impulse because I would not be well equipped to care for them at the moment but this darling shall be going in the bucket list

It's a four eyed fish also known as Anableps anableps. It's a livebearer.
And this little guy will become a big guy. So, you do need to be able to offer him a decent sized tank.

I actually went back to a local public aquarium just to watch their Anableps a few times. Forget the crappy sharks - these guys were cool! They were in a huge mangrove tank, in a group, and were absolutely fascinating. I would love to someday watch them in the wild. Those above water eyeballs are great.

They were in our world and their world at the same time - very cool. What an adaptation.

They were in our world and their world at the same time - very cool. What an adaptation.
This is what fascinates me. Humans have lived for hundreds of thousands of years, and yet we exist at the perfect time to see such incredible creatures right before us in a shop window. It's incredible, and you can only hope to see them in their natural habitat one day.

I think your right. After 5 minutes of reading about them I’m very glad I resisted the impulse because I would not be well equipped to care for them at the moment but this darling shall be going in the bucket list
Well done indeed. Never buy fish before having done some reading and getting some info.

I have a problem with impulse buying. I am getting better though. 99% of the time it's because I go against my gut and listen to the fish store owner. 🙄

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back