help me asap

Thanks everyone for the tips ill definitely be taking your advice. I tested for nitrite, it came at 0, i tested for ammonia and it came between 1.0ppm-2.0ppm its a bit hard to tell.

Levels are still high, ammonia 1ppm-2ppm, nitrite and nitrate are at 0. Tank has seemed to clear up so its not as cloudy.

You need to get that ammonia reading down to zero by doing as many water changes as necessary. You said in your first post that the pH is 8.0 so a lot of that ammonia will be in the toxic form and the fish will be suffering ammonia poisoning. Even a tiny bit of ammonia at that pH is enough to harm the fish.

Totally agree. So i have done more water changes, i have done a lot and my tank has cleared up heaps. Fish are now eating and more colour is added. But my API ammonia test still reads 2.0ppm. So i went and borrowed my uncles master kit (the kit that comes with every tester) i used his ammonia tester, and it came with readings of 0.25ppm. So which ones correct. I did this twice, once this morning and i just did it again. The API tester reads 2.0ppm even though everything is better, but the master kit reads 0.25ppm.

Have you tried testing plain tap water with both testers, or even better some bottled water if you have any? If yours still shows 2.0, there is something wrong with it. The fact that yours still shows the same reading after doing a water change also suggests this.

What is the expiry date on your tester, and your uncle's?

Or take a sample of your tank water to an LFS and ask them to test for ammonia. Make sure they give you a number. That should be closer to one or other of the tests you've done - go with that one.

My tap water is very high in ammonia and tanks take a very long time to cycle for me HOWEVER I highly suggest using SeaChem Stability along with the water changes & established filter media. The reviews are hit or miss but this has saved me from myself quite a few times throughout the years. Make sure you shake it well before adding it to your tank

Hey guys im a new fish owner even though my family have been in it for ages. Lately i seemed really intrested in breeding so i decided to get a suitable tank for my room. Its around 20 gallons in capacity. I have had the tank for about 5 weeks and cycled it for a good 10 days. To enhance the cycle i put one of my koi fish in from the pond. After about 10-12 days i took the koi out and waited another 5 days to eventually add 3 electric yellows. 1 male and 2 females. The electric yellows have been in my tank for about 2 weeks now and in the past week and a half iv noticed my water has gone cloudy. I decided to test for ammonia and received readings of 4.0ppm. I freaked out immediately and consulted my local aquarium who told me what to do. I stopped feeding my fish as they stopped eating anyways because of my poor water quality. I did an immediate water change around 40%. Added a second filter, applied more oxygen and after 3 days i did another 40% water change. In this process i was adding prime water conditioner as well as adding good bacteria in the tank as weell as scooping up any excess waste i see floating. My PH level is also at 8.0 which i heard is perfect.

Its been a stressing week now since the ammonia levels are still high sitting at 2.0ppm. I don’t know what else to do i don’t know why my ammonia is still high and why my water is still cloudy can anyone please help any advice. P.S i know africans should be in at least a 55 gallon tank but i heard that what im doing and my tank size shouldn’t affect my ammonia issue if i maintain it right. Please help.

Im assuming you didnt add all your fish at the same time, as that can overload your tank and give you a spike in your levels. I've noticed in my own little 10 gallon guppy tank that if I add too much water conditioner my tank gets and stays cloudy. So I stopped with that, but I did end up taking my fish out, and taking everything (plants, decor, rocks, etc.) out, and properly cleaned the gravel with my siphon. I did leave about 45% or more of the original water, and after I cleaned it all, and added my plants and decor back, I slowly acclimated my fish back into there newly cleaned tank. I found the more fake plants, decorations and what not in the tank, the cloudier it will be because the waste has lots of nooks and crannys to get lost into. Give your tank some time to clear up on its own, be aware of your water parameters, maybe take some knick knacks out and clean your filter even if you recently did it, and see if that helps. Good luck, hope it all works out fine for you and your fish.

I could just be the shrimp she just ate, my guppies will poop red colored while they are still eating their frozen blood worms. Its just their systems are so small, everything comes out almost immediately after it goes in.
Hope thats all it is, and nothing serious. Good luck

Hey guys im a new fish owner even though my family have been in it for ages. Lately i seemed really intrested in breeding so i decided to get a suitable tank for my room. Its around 20 gallons in capacity. I have had the tank for about 5 weeks and cycled it for a good 10 days. To enhance the cycle i put one of my koi fish in from the pond. After about 10-12 days i took the koi out and waited another 5 days to eventually add 3 electric yellows. 1 male and 2 females. The electric yellows have been in my tank for about 2 weeks now and in the past week and a half iv noticed my water has gone cloudy. I decided to test for ammonia and received readings of 4.0ppm. I freaked out immediately and consulted my local aquarium who told me what to do. I stopped feeding my fish as they stopped eating anyways because of my poor water quality. I did an immediate water change around 40%. Added a second filter, applied more oxygen and after 3 days i did another 40% water change. In this process i was adding prime water conditioner as well as adding good bacteria in the tank as weell as scooping up any excess waste i see floating. My PH level is also at 8.0 which i heard is perfect.

Its been a stressing week now since the ammonia levels are still high sitting at 2.0ppm. I don’t know what else to do i don’t know why my ammonia is still high and why my water is still cloudy can anyone please help any advice. P.S i know africans should be in at least a 55 gallon tank but i heard that what im doing and my tank size shouldn’t affect my ammonia issue if i maintain it right. Please help.

Do you have another aquarium? You can rinse a filter from an existing healthy tank and that will eat up ammonia. That is what I did with my new set up and it worked like a charm.

Yep! My bettas get 75% every 2 days because of tail fraying issues.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back