Help! Kinda made a split second decision. Need your opinions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I just stopped in at my lfs and I saw an orange Sunkist shrimp and it was burried so I bought it. I picked up what I think is a male also. I have a few options. I have a 5 gal betta tank but I don’t know if my Betta will eat it. I also have a 20 gallon but it has a peacock gudgeon which might eat them. I’m also setting up a 15 gallon shrimp tank tomorrow for my birthday but it’s not set up yet. Also, I planned to setup the tank as a cherry shrimp tank. I plan on putting it in the betta tank but I don’t want him to eat them. Is there anything I can do to prevent my betta from eating it? I could add a dragon stone that they could go in if I needed to. Any help is appreciated. I need help FAST!

I'd say your betta is probably less likely to eat them than the peacock

I'd say your betta is probably less likely to eat them than the peacock
That’s what I’m thinking. I can add a dragon stone and moss to help that. Should I go get some ghost shrimp in case he gets hungry? I just don’t want these guys to die!

Add as many hiding places as you can for now just in case.

Try to distract the betta when you introduce the shrimp so he doesn't see them as food. Removing him and reintroducing him may ne an option also

Add as many hiding places as you can for now just in case.

Try to distract the betta when you introduce the shrimp so he doesn't see them as food. Removing him and reintroducing him may ne an option also
Ok thanks. So how would you go about distracting or taking him out?

Ok thanks. So how would you go about distracting or taking him out?
Not sure how you could distract him lol

Just take him out and put him in a bucket or something until the shrimp are acclimated and added. Once they are you can add him again

Just take him out and put him in a bucket or something until the shrimp are acclimated and added. Once they are you can add him again
Ok thanks. I’ll do this. Thanks again! Pray for my little guys also!

Ok thanks. I’ll do this. Thanks again! Pray for my little guys also!
No problem! Just trying to help them survive. Also if you rearrange the scape so it's not his territory it might help :)

O and another option! I have a 20 gal that I can add my betta to. It has apistogramma, a peacock gudgeon, and a bunch of tetras. Is than an option or no?

O and another option! I have a 20 gal that I can add my betta to. It has apistogramma, a peacock gudgeon, and a bunch of tetras. Is than an option or no?
I wouldnt add the betta to the community

hm...

Honestly, I'd take some established water and plants and substrate from one of your current tanks and house the shrimp in a 1 gal+ jar until the new tank is set up.

My female betta ate one of my large (2 inch plus) ghost shrimp. They had hiding places too. Didn't matter.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back