Help! Is this fin rot? or fin nipping?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JesskaSky

Reaction score
Hi there! First post here, unfortunately has to be about my beloved betta ):
I'm leaning more towards this being fin nipping so if that's the case what are some good tips on repairing?

I have had two mollies in with my betta (both are now sitting in my fry saver till I can rehome) in my 58ltre (15gallon) tank. One male and one female I believe. These are new additions probably within the last week and a half. I have noticed the male mollie show signs of aggression towards the female mollie, but I've also seen the male betta chase the male mollie as well.

Tank parameters all seem fine although I don't have a nitrite and nitrate test kit, the ammonia and PH are fine, tank is on roughly 27° (80f) I've had the tank running now for roughly 3 months. Water changes could be more regular, averaging on once every two weeks as I was hoping to get the tank cycled. I have some live plants in the tank (baby tears) and two driftwood pieces with live plants on them also. I have one potentially sharp item, a fake stone/plastic arch but that's been in the tank since day one so unsure if that would contribute to fin ripping now?

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG20210117033117.jpg
    IMG20210117033117.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG20210117033013.jpg
    IMG20210117033013.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG20210117033108.jpg
    IMG20210117033108.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20210117_034033.jpg
    IMG_20210117_034033.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20210117_034127.jpg
    IMG_20210117_034127.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 90
Hi there! First post here, unfortunately has to be about my beloved betta ):
I'm leaning more towards this being fin nipping so if that's the case what are some good tips on repairing?

I have had two mollies in with my betta (both are now sitting in my fry saver till I can rehome) in my 58ltre (15gallon) tank. One male and one female I believe. These are new additions probably within the last week and a half. I have noticed the male mollie show signs of aggression towards the female mollie, but I've also seen the male betta chase the male mollie as well.

Tank parameters all seem fine although I don't have a nitrite and nitrate test kit, the ammonia and PH are fine, tank is on roughly 27° (80f) I've had the tank running now for roughly 3 months. Water changes could be more regular, averaging on once every two weeks as I was hoping to get the tank cycled. I have some live plants in the tank (baby tears) and two driftwood pieces with live plants on them also. I have one potentially sharp item, a fake stone/plastic arch but that's been in the tank since day one so unsure if that would contribute to fin ripping now?

Thanks for reading!
first of all you cannot keep molly in low ph water. maybe he is being nipped or he is ripping on the rocks and the plants

Rehoming the Mollies are a great start, I'd also suggest removing any sharp objects too. Looks like rips, but the chances are they'll develop into finrot within poor water conditions. Daily water changes will be needed until the fins are showing signs of growth (this will look transparent) after that, 75% water changes weekly will be best. Also, avoid tank mates going forward. It's essential to pick up a testing kit to be able to test for everything. I personally use liquid test kits as I find them very accurate. Be sure to keep us all updated and ask questions :)

Rehoming the Mollies are a great start, I'd also suggest removing any sharp objects too. Looks like rips, but the chances are they'll develop into finrot within poor water conditions. Daily water changes will be needed until the fins are showing signs of growth (this will look transparent) after that, 75% water changes weekly will be best. Also, avoid tank mates going forward. It's essential to pick up a testing kit to be able to test for everything. I personally use liquid test kits as I find them very accurate. Be sure to keep us all updated and ask questions :)
Yes I am guilty on the water change side of things, will pull my finger out and make sure I do water changes every day, how much do you recommend daily? I will pickup a water test kit tomorrow as well! I might look at changing the ornament because if I remove it the corys won't really have a nice big area to hide, they do go behind the drift wood etc but I think because they can all fit together and hide under the bridge, that's their favourite spot lol.
Thank you for the advice!! :)

Yes I am guilty on the water change side of things, will pull my finger out and make sure I do water changes every day, how much do you recommend daily? I will pickup a water test kit tomorrow as well! I might look at changing the ornament because if I remove it the corys won't really have a nice big area to hide, they do go behind the drift wood etc but I think because they can all fit together and hide under the bridge, that's their favourite spot lol.
get a big leaf like anubias! they are big and betta will rest on it too!. maybe get rid of drift wood for precsution. nono not water change every day, thats too much for your 15 gal. do a 25% every week and a 50 5 if something is wrong

get a big leaf like anubias! they are big and betta will rest on it too!. maybe get rid of drift wood for precsution. nono not water change every day, thats too much for your 15 gal. do a 25% every week and a 50 5 if something is wrong
Please stop advising people with wrong information. I've said to do daily water changes to stop the rips in the bettas fins from growing fungus. You will confuse the OP.

Sounds good. 75% water change and vacuum your substrate with a siphon as you do it. This will remove the nasties and keep your water pristine to stop the rips in the fins from growing fungus and becoming fin rot. When you've sucked out the water from the tank, rinse your filter in the bucket of old tank water too. If you do start to notice fungus, then report back for help with treatments for it. But keeping the water clean will prevent it from happening. Have a think of how you can address any sharp objects to be able to swap them out for something that the betta won't catch his fins on. In my experience, coconut huts are a brilliant alternative. Good luck :)

In addition to being vigilant in watching for fin rot symptoms (which you can find listed here, reducing stress for your betta is also important, as this will prevent his immune system being compromised. For example, when doing your water changes, ensure there aren’t sudden and significant changes in water parameters or temperature, ensure he isn’t being harassed by tankmates, that water currents aren’t too strong (since, being long finned, bettas aren’t adapted for lots of movement) and that he eats like usual. These will not only aid in his recovery, but mitigate risks of any infection taking hold.

Personally, I think the damage is likely the nipping of the mollies, so having them rehomed/separated is a wise move. As others have said, removing the arch would be a good precautionary measure also.

Please stop advising people with wrong information. I've said to do daily water changes to stop the rips in the bettas fins from growing fungus. You will confuse the OP.
i know i said normally 25% is the least for a week, you can do 5% a day which is 35 a week

i know i said normally 25% is the least for a week, you can do 5% a day which is 35 a week
I think perhaps you should spend a little more time absorbing information from others before jumping to offer everyone advice. I've advised the OP to do specific things for specific reasons to stop their betta from getting fin rot.

35% a week really isn't going to dilute ammonia, nitrites and nitrates within your aquarium. Furthermore, when you notice a spike in these things or you notice a fish is ill, the first thing to do is perform a huge water change. If you're only changing 35% a week then the water in your aquarium will be different from your waters source. This will risk shocking your fish to death when you perform the water change. To stop this from happening, consistently change a large amount of water from your aquarium weekly. Long term, this will limit the amount of problems that you can run into due to poor water quality.

I think perhaps you should spend a little more time absorbing information from others before jumping to offer everyone advice. I've advised the OP to do specific things for specific reasons to stop their betta from getting fin rot.

35% a week really isn't going to dilute ammonia, nitrites and nitrates within your aquarium. Furthermore, when you notice a spike in these things or you notice a fish is ill, the first thing to do is perform a huge water change. If you're only changing 35% a week then the water in your aquarium will be different from your waters source. This will risk shocking your fish to death when you perform the water change. To stop this from happening, consistently change a large amount of water from your aquarium weekly. Long term, this will limit the amount of problems that you can run into due to poor water quality.
thats what i normally do because i have lots of plants that absorb the stuff but i think youre right

Not sure how this all works but I wanted to post an update!

I wasn't able to get a liquid test kit for nitrate and nitrite so I got the "API 5 in 1 test strips" my nitrite was sitting between 0 and 0.5 but my nitrate was at least 160, so I have done a 75% (or there about) water change today and will continue to do 40%? Water changes daily?

I removed the sharp edged plastic bridge and got some stacked plastic tunnels which I used sandpaper on to sand down the insides before putting it in (rinsed first of course lol) also added another chunk of driftwood that's more flat and less sharp looking, and another plant that I'm now thinking may end up disintegrating, my LPS have a tendency to sell things with correct information.
I also bought some API Stress coat and double dosed that as per the instructions to hopefully help promote healing.
I'm getting some IALs tomorrow as the aquarium shop was shut today!

Pic of tank now that it's been cleaned and updated! Lol
202101181096201379484165705.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back