HELP!!! Is my Swordtail pregnant or does it have dropsy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lazarusthefishboy10

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I just recently got a male and two female Swordtail two days a go. Yesterday one of the females was fine! But when I woke up this morning it suddenly had a huge belly! I'm afraid it's dropsy, and i don't want the swordtail to die! HELP! And please tell if it is and how to cure it.
IMG_E0340.JPG

When you look at her from above does it look like her scales are sticking out like a pinecone?
What are your water parameters?
In case of bloating fast for three days and then feed a shelled pea cooked in aquarium water

Is the fish still eating?
Are the scales sticking out from the body?
What does the fish's poop look like?

If the fish is still eating normally it is unlikely to be an internal infection. Fish that have an internal infection (dropsy), normally stop eating and do a stringy white poop.

If the scales are sticking out form the body, that is a concern and an indication there is a problem.

I woke up this morning and found the female swordtail's stomach back to normal. I didn't even do anything to it to treat it. There's no babies. But why would her belly be big for one day, and then back to normal. here is a pic of her this morning with her belly back to normal:
IMG_E0345.JPG
As far as I know, she doesn't have pine coning. And she did eat some food that sunk to the bottom.

It could have been constipation or maybe the fry were all eaten

She probably had a small batch of fry (2-10 babies) and they are either hidng in the tank or got eaten.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back