Help: injured gill?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Altiores

Reaction score
Hi guys, I created this account to get some advice.
For the last few weeks my betta has been subdued. I kept an eye on him and the tank as as he was still eating occasionally and the other tank mates (9 cardinal tetras) seemed fine. However today I found what seemed like part of his right gill sticking out unevenly. He has a bump on that side.

Other symptoms :
He no longer 'begs' for food like he used to - most of the time he appears to be sleeping, and only eats if I grab his attention beforehand. 95% of the time he's so motionless at the top of the tank that I mistook him for having died once. A couple months back he cut his fin significantly, but since then has healed up very well.

Last water change was 4 or 5 days ago. The last addition to the tank was some plants, over a month ago, thoroughly washed clean. Betta is probably 1.5 - 2 years old. For what it's worth, he's still recently blown a good sized bubble nest.

Tank size: 100L
tank age: 1 year
pH: 7.2
ammonia: 0-0.25ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 5-10ppm
kH: unknown
gH: unknown
tank temp: 25'C

Good side for comparison :
IMG_20220425_191544.jpg

Bad side - it moves with his gills, this is as far out as it extends:
IMG_20220425_191508.jpg

Him in his favourite resting spot - notice the lighter coloured bump:
IMG_20220425_191453.jpg

(also if anyone wants to tell me what those two pale spots on his fin are, I'd appreciate it. They've been slowly growing since I've had him)

Hi guys, I created this account to get some advice.
For the last few weeks my betta has been subdued. I kept an eye on him and the tank as as he was still eating occasionally and the other tank mates (9 cardinal tetras) seemed fine. However today I found what seemed like part of his right gill sticking out unevenly. He has a bump on that side.

Other symptoms :
He no longer 'begs' for food like he used to - most of the time he appears to be sleeping, and only eats if I grab his attention beforehand. 95% of the time he's so motionless at the top of the tank that I mistook him for having died once. A couple months back he cut his fin significantly, but since then has healed up very well.

Last water change was 4 or 5 days ago. The last addition to the tank was some plants, over a month ago, thoroughly washed clean. Betta is probably 1.5 - 2 years old. For what it's worth, he's still recently blown a good sized bubble nest.

Tank size: 100L
tank age: 1 year
pH: 7.2
ammonia: 0-0.25ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 5-10ppm
kH: unknown
gH: unknown
tank temp: 25'C

Good side for comparison :
View attachment 158646

Bad side - it moves with his gills, this is as far out as it extends:
View attachment 158645

Him in his favourite resting spot - notice the lighter coloured bump:
View attachment 158644
(also if anyone wants to tell me what those two pale spots on his fin are, I'd appreciate it. They've been slowly growing since I've had him)
Welcome to the forum! :hi:

The lighter spots on his fins look like natural coloration to me, nothing to worry about.

Is the thing on the gill on both sides or just the right side? Also, does it look like it’s part of him? Or does it look like something is growing on the gill?

Just from the photos, it appears the section of the flap was injured somehow.

Welcome to the forum! :hi:

The lighter spots on his fins look like natural coloration to me, nothing to worry about.

Is the thing on the gill on both sides or just the right side? Also, does it look like it’s part of him? Or does it look like something is growing on the gill?

Just from the photos, it appears the section of the flap was injured somehow.
Thanks for the response! Yes it's just on the one side. It definitely seems to be coming out from under the skin itself rather than a growth - it moves as the gill does.

Will the injury heal up naturally on its own, with good upkeeping of the water of course?
https://media.discordapp.net/attach.../968240966475603998/petal_20220425_210338.mp4
Here's a link to a video of it moving.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back