Help!! I’m losing guppies to white fin rot!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Goanna06

Reaction score
I’ve got a 28/30L freshwater tank and I’ve lost 5 guppies in the last week!
I knew about testing for Ph, I’ve got it down to 7.2. I’ve just found out about ammonia and got it down to 0.
I’ve added stress zyme + natural bacteria, ChemiZee to absorb ammonia, Tropical conditioning salts, new carbon filter, tri sulphate and I’m still losing fish to white fin rot...my wife and I are going out of our minds trying to save them.

Fin rot doesn't make the fins go white. Poor water quality and chemicals in the water will make the edge of the fins go white.

We need pictures of the fish.

How long has the tank been set up for?
Has it cycled (developed the beneficial filter bacteria)?
How long have you had the fish for?
Did you add anything in the 2 weeks before this started?

---------------------
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until we work out what is wrong.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

---------------------
The following link has information on what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth a read when you have some spare time.

I knew about testing for Ph, I’ve got it down to 7.2.
Please don't add chemicals to alter pH - guppies are hard water fish which prefer a high pH.

ChemiZee to absorb ammonia,
Don't forget that when ammonia adsorbing chemicals get full, they stop removing ammonia. Then because using these products had not allowed the bacteria you've added to multiply so ammonia shoots up.

It is better to do water changes to keep ammonia and later nitrite down to almost zero rather than using chemicals to remove the ammonia so that the bacteria colonies grow to their full numbers.

Tropical conditioning salts
What does this mean? Can you tell us the brand please.

I’ve got a 28/30L freshwater tank and I’ve lost 5 guppies in the last week!
I knew about testing for Ph, I’ve got it down to 7.2. I’ve just found out about ammonia and got it down to 0.
I’ve added stress zyme + natural bacteria, ChemiZee to absorb ammonia, Tropical conditioning salts, new carbon filter, tri sulphate and I’m still losing fish to white fin rot...my wife and I are going out of our minds trying to save them.
Wow, that's alot of chemicals to throw at fish all at once...

Wow, that's alot of chemicals to throw at fish all at once...
The only chemicals I’ve thrown at them is the aquarium salts and the tri sulphate, the others are just a charcoal and ChemiZee mix which should only help to remove impurities and ammonia and the natural bacteria to promote a natural balance

Are you adding a water conditioner?

In the first post you have listed
  • Something to lower pH (you mention getting it down to 7.2) This is not needed as guppies need a high pH
  • Stress Zyme, which is bacteria to break up fish poop etc
  • natural bacteria - what brand?
  • ChemiZee (ie zeolite) to adsorb ammonia - in my last post I explained why this is not a good idea
  • tropical conditioning salts - what are these?
  • carbon - this is not needed full time and will remove medication
  • trisulphate - if there is any left in the tank as the carbon and chemizee will have removed most, if not all, of it.

There is no mention of a water conditioner to remove chlorine in your post - unless that's what the "tropical conditioning salts" are - though water conditioners don't usually have the word salt in their name. Can you post a link to this product please.

Both zeolite and carbon will remove medication from the water, so you need to remove both of those before adding a medication.
Zeolite (chemizee) will also prevent the 'natural bacteria' which you have added from multiplying by removing their food source.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back