HELP!!! I'm having betta trouble and I need help asap!! (this is really long but full of detail sorry)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oh drat about the tap water, OK.
So I think @essjay said that the water softening process makes it unsuitable for fish, natural soft water per se doesn't have bad stuff.
It may be that RO water is more suitable but I have no experience of it.
I'm really glad your fish has settled!

Oh drat about the tap water, OK.
So I think @essjay said that the water softening process makes it unsuitable for fish, natural soft water per se doesn't have bad stuff.
It may be that RO water is more suitable but I have no experience of it.
I'm really glad your fish has settled!
Our drinking water isn't naturally soft so I don't really trust it. Also I'm not sure what "RO" water is. I will look around and see if I can find any better water, it's just that California has water issues so we don't really have the best drinking water or tap water. I just hope that the hardness doesn't make him sick ):

Where did you get your Betta from? He might have been ill when you bought him. But I would try changing the water and let him do his own thing for a few hours and then check on him and don’t be afraid to buy the right medication or chemicals if he dose have fin rot.

I don't personally use bottled water, because I don't trust the companies information on the bottle. I personally think that a 2g tank is to small for a betta and especially a 2g tall. I recommend to do a 75% water change/gravel vacuum every other day. (Every day is preferable)

Fin rot isn't a life threating disease....if handled quickly. Good luck. :)

RO water is water that has been passed through a membrane to remove everything dissolved in the water such as hardness minerals. You can either buy it ready made form a fish store or buy rthe equipment to make it yourself. Unlike water softeners which swap the hardness minerals for something else, the RO process removes everything. It shouldn't be used 100% unless you keep fish that need very soft water but it can be mixed with hard water to 'soften' it.

Where did you get your Betta from? He might have been ill when you bought him. But I would try changing the water and let him do his own thing for a few hours and then check on him and don’t be afraid to buy the right medication or chemicals if he dose have fin rot.
I concur. Many people are hesitant to buy medication for their fish, because they think they won't use it. Always get the best for your fish. If you don't end up using it, you can always return it.

Was he like this when you bought him?

RO water is water that has been passed through a membrane to remove everything dissolved in the water such as hardness minerals. You can either buy it ready made form a fish store or buy rthe equipment to make it yourself. Unlike water softeners which swap the hardness minerals for something else, the RO process removes everything. It shouldn't be used 100% unless you keep fish that need very soft water but it can be mixed with hard water to 'soften' it.
Oh that sounds like a good idea, to mix some in. I'll try that some time thanks :)

I
I got him from pet smart, and I'm not sure if he was like that. He was quite slow moving but it's really hard to tell when they are kept in such tiny cups. And yeah I changed part of the water and he seems to be doing better, a little more perky

I concur. Many people are hesitant to buy medication for their fish, because they think they won't use it. Always get the best for your fish. If you don't end up using it, you can always return it.

Was he like this when you bought him?
I don't know, I don't think so. I didn't know what fun rot was when I got him. But his tail tips aren't really white anymore from what I can tell, it seems like they turned black idk what that means. But if it seems like he needs it I'll get some medication, I have no idea what I would use for fin rot medication though ??

I don't personally use bottled water, because I don't trust the companies information on the bottle. I personally think that a 2g tank is to small for a betta and especially a 2g tall. I recommend to do a 75% water change/gravel vacuum every other day. (Every day is preferable)

Fin rot isn't a life threating disease....if handled quickly. Good luck. :)
Change his water that often? Really ? That seems like a lot. And I know it's not a huge tank but I don't have room or money for a huge tank. We have a 5 gallon one that we kept guppies in but they all ate each other so I think that tank is cursed

Water changes are the best medicine for a sick fish. Clean water is often all that's needed for a cure.

I don't know, I don't think so. I didn't know what fun rot was when I got him. But his tail tips aren't really white anymore from what I can tell, it seems like they turned black idk what that means. But if it seems like he needs it I'll get some medication, I have no idea what I would use for fin rot medication though ??
The only really "Medication" I've ever used is aquarium salt. If your bettas fins have turned blakc, that's bad. That's called 'Black Rot". It can be tricky to spot on your betta, especially if they have dark fins, if it is a mild case, or if the fish is a crown tail. There are, however, tell-tale signs your fish's fins are being eaten by this pesky bacteria.
(This an exact quote from this website...
bettasplendid.weebly.com/fin-rot-101.html)
Aquarium Salt

Picture

Now for the "medicine":

The most effective medicine that you can use to cure fin rot at a mild stage is clean water and Aquarium Salt.
AQ Salt is sodium chloride, which heals open wounds and helps de-stress fish. Aquarium Salt is commonly found in many pet stores and is not expensive.

Like with any medicine, AQ salt should not be used for prolonged periods of time or in very high doses. Ten days is the maximum amount of time you should treat a fish with AQ Salt. Prolonged use can cause kidney and liver damage. Also, like any other medicine, the appropriate dose should be used. Do not use AQ salt as a "preventative" medicine at a low dose, as it will eventually become less effective and diseases will become resistant to it. For example, when 1tsp/gallon of water is needed, do not use .5tsp/gallon. Its like taking a half an aspirin when you need three:; it doesn't do anything!

(I suggest you read that hole article, its a lot of good information.)

Put the fish into a clean quarantine tank and do a 100% water change in that tank. Keep the tank dark and at 76-78'F if you can. Float it in the "big" tank to keep it warm. Add in 1tsp/gallon of Aquarium Salt, pre-mixed beforehand into the tank. For slightly more severe rot, use 1.5tsp/gallon of the salt. Do 100% daily water changes each day and re-dose only after the 100% change, for no more than 10 days. After that time, turn off the filter to aid in fin regrowth and up the water changes for a bit.
(Exact copy from the website mentioned above.)

After all of this is over, I strongly suggest you get the 5g out and clean it up really good. No tank is "cursed", so give it a chance. Good luck. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back