Help Identifying Two Plants.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MisterLemons

Reaction score
I recently got two plants from a large pet chain out of sheer impulse thinking as a horticulturist that not only did they look fantastic but they would serve my aquarium to level out the specific balances of the tank. Of course being the sheer geniuses haven't a clue what they're doing, every plant they owned was completely submerged in a separate tank. So now I have these two plants that I am unsure of whether or not they actually belong under water.

Here was have plant number one. (Nevermind the toothbrush, I used it to get the foam off the stem)
206y2k1.jpg

And plant number two
wix6i1.jpg

So here is my dilemma, I have no idea what the latin OR common name of these plants are so I have no clue as to what care they need. I looked all over for plant number 2 and found nothing, but I BELIEVE number 1 is dracaena sanderiana and if this is correct it is only good submerged for a few weeks.

Thoughts?

Yup, that's a dracaena. Lovely house plant, stick it in a pot.

I'll have a think about number 2, nothing is immediately springing to mind.

I don't know what the second is, but know that the first is not fully aquatic, but can stay in the aquarium for a week or so then must be brought out and planted in a pot. personally i think that by doing that it won't help the plant and the moving etc won't be good. better to have it just in a pot them switching it back and forth.

Plant number 2 looks a little like devils ivy. Or a very young type of alocasia. But my money is on a type of devils ivy since it is often sold as an aquarium plant and will grow quite happily with the roots fully submerged with no substrate provided the leaves are exposed to air and light.

Welcome to the forum Mister Lemons!  I believe your horticulturist instincts were correct :)
I also have a dracaena growing in a pot on my windowsill, that the dear old mother-in-law thought would look nice in my aquarium!  Bless her!  The pet shops just don't seem to know what they're selling.

I've got a dracaena (D. marginata rather than D. sanderiana) that my son and I 'rescued' from his dad's tank. Darn thing is huge now!

Fantastic, i've bought two 'aquatic plants' that aren't even supposed to be submerged, despite pulling them from the bottom of the tanks myself. Thanks for the help everyone, I guess I can integrate them into the filter or make a root stand in my tank at the surface or something...

This sounds very familiar! 

Pretty much exactly what happened to me when i first started the hobby! 
nugget.gif

Bought 2 types of dracaena from a well known chain LFS and was completely submerged in their aquatic plant tank, so just assumed they wee aquatic plants!

So your certainly not the first this has happened to and certainly unlikely to be the last!

Lesson learned here, always do a little research the plants first before buying. Thats what i do now, research before buying anything live for my tanks. 
wink.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back