Help identifying danio

Michaelsf90

Reaction score
Can anyone please help me identity what type of fish this danio is. The shop I bought them off said they are a blue fin. They have an orange stripe from half way down the body to the tail and an orange stripe across the top

I've uploaded pictures which arent the best. These guys are fast. With the orange stripe I assumed glowlight danio so today I have purchased 2 as I had 4 of the other type which I'm now questioning

One pic is the definite glowlights which are a greeny colour with orange stripe. The other pic is the one I dont know which is a silver/gold colour with orange stripe. The new ones are vibrant and the others are more a dull colour on the body but both have an orange stripe. Any help would be much appreciated

Attachments

• 20200217_160632.jpg
    20200217_160632.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200217_161717.jpg
    20200217_161717.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 20200217_160702.jpg
    20200217_160702.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 20200217_161724.jpg
    20200217_161724.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 55
Does that mean I need to get another 2 pearls so their is 6 and 4 glowlights so their is six? I have 3 leopards and zebras but I've been told they're the same species

Attachments

• Celestichthys choprae 1.jpg
    Celestichthys choprae 1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 88
That is what I bought today. A glowlight. Its the duller coloured ones I need help identifying which I think are pearl danios! So I've bought glowlight thinking its them. So now I need to get 4 glowlights and 2 pearls. So then its 6 pearls, 6 glowlights and 3 leopard and 3 zebra. Plus 6 peppered corys. My tank is 125L so its going to be stocked to its max then isn't it?

I would say that's the fish I'm trying to identify?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200217-185911_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20200217-185911_Google.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 82
That is what I bought today. A glowlight. Its the duller coloured ones I need help identifying which I think are pearl danios! So I've bought glowlight thinking its them. So now I need to get 4 glowlights and 2 pearls. So then its 6 pearls, 6 glowlights and 3 leopard and 3 zebra. Plus 6 peppered corys. My tank is 125L so its going to be stocked to its max then isn't it?

My apology, yes, you are correct, the other paler fish is Brachydanio albolineata. And yes, a sholaing fish that needs a group but also minimum 90cm long tank. Info here:

I'm sure we spoke yesterday byron regarding some Odessa barbs i bought.

Tomorrow I'm going to get 2 pearls and 2 peppered Cory's. Then il have 3 zebra and 3 leopard danios, 6 pearl danios, 6 peppered Corey's, 2 zebra nerites and 1 rabbit snail, and 2 glowlights. In another month il get 4 glowlights. It's a 125L fluval roma. Do you think its fully stocked with all that in? My kids wanted some white cloud mountain minnows which I was going to get because I thought the pearls were glowlights. So now they're not it means I'm adding 6 glowlights instead of the minnows

Those glowlights will become much brighter, they really are stunning. However they are incredibly timid and shy - even more so than the CPD I keep (celestichthys margaritatus). To get the best of them I would suggest a group of 20 and lots of plants. They will hide less if they have the security of knowing that they can.

I dont have room for 20. I've listed what fish I have further up in the thread. What do you think would be more important now. To get 2 more pearls and 2 more peppered coreys tomorrow so their numbers are better. Will 6 peppered coreys be enough? Or should I get 4 more glowlights? Which is more urgent? I dont want the 2 glowlights being picked on by all the other danios

The SF link on the glowlight tetras has 8-10 minimum so I would say this is minimum. And all of the intended number of a species should be acquired at the same time. The fish will be much less stressed and settle in faster the more there are together, and this goes a long way to avoiding ich or similar. Hierarchial issues among species is another issue and one reduced or resolved with more of the species together from the start.

I shall purchase another 6 tomorrow. Thank you bryon :) and the pearls should be a minimum of six?

So in total il have 20 danios in my 125L plus the 3 snails plus 4 peppered coreys. How many more Cory's should I add without overstocking?

I shall purchase another 6 tomorrow. Thank you bryon :) and the pearls should be a minimum of six?

So in total il have 20 danios in my 125L plus the 3 snails plus 4 peppered coreys. How many more Cory's should I add without overstocking?

SF says 8-10 for the pearls too, so I would.

Stocking is misunderstood by many. Fish mass to water volume is not the real issue; it is providing compatible species in sufficient numbers (if shoaling species) that really matters, as this actually has less detriment to the biological system than having fewer. I like odd numbers, just aesthetic usually, so I would have 9 if SF recommends 8-10.

I have a tank of this size, and I would not have fewer than 10-12 cories in it, or more depending upon species. This will make quite a difference to the fish compared to five or six.

It's more stocking thats causing an issue with the true numbers of fish I should have. If I had that many i think the tank would look too full and there be no room. The Corey's not so much as 95% of the time they're sniffing the floor or literally just falling asleep wherever they fancy haha I love the Corey's. I think that's how I'd act if I was fish!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back