Help identifying Betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Teelie

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Sorry for the quality but my digital camera is on its last legs so the picture is fuzzy and poorly focused. This resembles a crowntail or halfmoon but I got him at a PetCo at regular Betta prices hidden behind the regular Bettas. They had some other curious looking males not of the typical variety but I only have one tank set up at the moment for a Male. I've got a 1.5 gallon and another 1 gallon plus a 5 gallon I can place 3 more in if this guy turns out to be special and I find more like him there.

He's a replacement to my previous male who died suddenly the night before that. I wasn't planning on replacing him so soon but I was there to grab some supplies when I happened across this guy.

whatbetta1.jpg

whatbetta2.jpg

whatbetta3.jpg

I'm only learning about betta's but that looks like a crowntail to me(im not sure what a halfmoon looks like) .... BUT one of the gurus on here will be able to tell you :whistle:

Anyhow he is lovely

Thanks. :D He's actually more of a black bodied, silver colored with black spotted fins. Once I can get a better camera, or at least a better picture, I'll post a good one of him.

This is more along the lines of his finnage, with the black spots though this is a female Crowntail I found on another site.

femalecrowntail.jpg

Teelie said:
This is more along the lines of his finnage, with the black spots though this is a female Crowntail I found on another site.

femalecrowntail.jpg
Now that is one hot female! :shifty: :hey:

One of my females looks like that with her fins though she's a darker blue color and not a Crowntail to my knowledge. Her fins aren't quite as pronounced either.

Looks like a partial crowntail. Its probably the result of breeding a crowntail and veil tail. The rays only extend slightly farther than the "webbing" which leads me to believe he isn't a pure crown tail. Still a nice looking betta for one you got from petco.

Thanks for the help. :) I suspected as much. It means he'll carry the crowntail genes and that's a start for me. I can eventually breed out pure Crowntails I hope. I don't know of any local breeders so I would be the first. 8)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back