Help Identify Or Confirm

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Vallisneria spiralis or twisted vallis is what your plant in central at back looks like.

Vallis spiralis is actually straight vallis :)  The twisted vallis might be vallis asiatica

Is it!? Did not know that, always assumed since the Latin says spiralis it meant twisted! Oops!

My mistake in that case and certainly good to know. Thanks. :)

Spiralis is definitely straight (confusing!) but I'm not 100% sure this is var asiatica, there are other varieties e.g. americana but I think they are more twisted than this one.

Thanks everyone! A little confusing just had to clarify lol

Looks like a corkscrew vallisneria to me as well, i saw your amazon swords first i thought you were wanting to ID those lol

I believe that there are many types of vallis kicking around out there. Annoyingly, one of the best ways to identify it is from where it came from as most plant growers only use a limited selection as it gives them a range of straight, twisted, big and small without making it too complicated. If I remember correctly Tropica, one of the big European suppliers, use 6 different types to get the selection.

Otherwise yes, that's a twisted vallis and spiralis is straight (unless the leaves get very long), I'm fairly certain that the spiralis refers to the coiled flower stem that it can produce, but don't quote me on that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back