Help Id The Eel

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ParadiseGuerrero

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is int eh wrong section - I'm not sure what eels come under

I while ago I saw an eel in my Lfs and it was labelled 'spiny eel', it isn't standard stock so didn't have one of the usual more comprehensive tags. I figured it would get pretty big, but it's gone on my list of fish for the future however I don't know what sort of spiny eel it was. I was your standard eel shape but had the same colouring as this fish- http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/crenicichla-compressiceps/. I'm afraid I can't do better than that, has anybody got an idea of what it could be? it must have been about 10 inches long and It cost about £20 if thats helpful

it isn't either of them unless of cause there's some sort of colour varient? this one had a whitish body and yellow fins

It was a 97% common spiny eel but as he said it could easly be 1 of them the common spiny eel grows to about 15-20 inches so is quite big how big is your tank and what do u have in it

probibly*

Do beware that most of the spiny eels get quite large, and will eat other fish.

Common Name
Scientific Name
Max. Size

Peacock Eel
Macrognathus aculeatus 15"

Striped Peacock Eel
Macrognathus siamensis 12"

Zig Zag Eel
Tire Track Eel
Mastacembelus armatus 36"

Fire Eel
Mastacembelus erythrotaenia 40"

Zebra Spiny Eel
Mastacembelus zebrinus 18"

The only thing I can think of that is eel-ish and that colour might be an albino bichir, but that's one hell of a mistake with the labelling!

Still not 100% sure what it was, possibly a peacock eel that was rather pale. Thankyou all for the sugestions, if I see it again I shall have to ask what it's latin name is; it was definatly not an albino bichir though :D

Most reactions

trending

Back