Help! I Think My Fish Have Whirling Disease

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Iā€™m just sick. As some know, I had a dying cherry barb in my community tank. Today I found a tetra whirling in circles. I have lost 3 danios that became emancipated and then died. Iā€™m reading on whirling disease. I think my community tank is infected with the disease. All I seem to be able to do is wait and watch then euthanize any fish showing signs of the disease. It can infect my entire tank. Whatā€™s worse is the fact that I use the same Python to clean all of my tanks which means all 8 tanks could be infected. Even my pond is at risk because I throw snails that I retrieve from the community rank in it. f I lose everything, Iā€™m done. Does anyone have any experience with this disease?

Fish that spin/ spiral through the tank usually have a protozoan infection in the brain. You can try doing huge water changes (75-90%) each day for a couple of weeks, and gravel cleaning the substrate each time you do the water change. Wipe the inside of the glass and clean the filter too.

If that fails then add a heap of salt, 4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres (5 gallons) and keep the salt level up for 2-4 weeks. This level of salt will affect some plants and Corydoras don't particularly like it, but if all else fails, give salt a go.

Fish that spin/ spiral through the tank usually have a protozoan infection in the brain. You can try doing huge water changes (75-90%) each day for a couple of weeks, and gravel cleaning the substrate each time you do the water change. Wipe the inside of the glass and clean the filter too.

If that fails then add a heap of salt, 4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres (5 gallons) and keep the salt level up for 2-4 weeks. This level of salt will affect some plants and Corydoras don't particularly like it, but if all else fails, give salt a go.
Thanks so much! Treat the entire tank? I have a pleco that I would have to move out for the salt but willing to do anything.

I had a tetra with that disease. I lost him but the other fish were all fine and didn't come down with it.

Treat the entire tank. Use a lower dose, 2 heaped tablespoons for a few days and see if it helps. If it doesn't then increase it to 4 heaped tablespoons. See how the pleco does, it should be fine with the lower dose rate but might have to be moved for the higher rate.

Treat the entire tank. Use a lower dose, 2 heaped tablespoons for a few days and see if it helps. If it doesn't then increase it to 4 heaped tablespoons. See how the pleco does, it should be fine with the lower dose rate but might have to be moved for the higher rate.
Will do! Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Ok! Tank thoroughly cleaned, decor washed, filter cleaned, sides wiped and salt added! Repeat tomorrow!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back