FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
As said the snails look like bladders. They are harmless but can easily get to be a too large population. I also have bladder snails but they, so far, are not a problem as to population. If I could ever find the cichlids I want as a fish things would take are of itself as the cichlids would eat the snails. A fish that eats the things is a solution but I totally agree with what was said in another post as to not getting a fish to specifically deal with a pest. In my case it is a good solution as I want the fish anyway.

As to manually controlling the snails try using an algae scraper on the glass where the snails are trailing a siphon behind the scraper to suck up the little beasties. This will not totally remove them all but is a fairly easy way to control the population.

I can see the worm in your photo but can't remember what it is called. If it is what I think it is harmless. Right after getting some drift wood for my tank I saw a couple of such worms but have not in a few days. I think that my rope fish may have eaten them. I wish rope fish ate snails but they don't seem to do so.

Assuming I'm right on the worm neither the worms nor the snails are actually harmful to either your fish or you.

Last edited:
I had the same problem a few months ago, I fixed it by putting a peice of lettuce in the tank, an hour later 90% of the snails where on the lettuce. I then proceeded to put that peice of lettuce into a bin. I removed the other 10% manually.

If this doesn't work you can also get snail traps that are highly efficient off Amazon or ebay.

I had the same problem a few months ago, I fixed it by putting a peice of lettuce in the tank, an hour later 90% of the snails where on the lettuce. I then proceeded to put that peice of lettuce into a bin. I removed the other 10% manually.

If this doesn't work you can also get snail traps that are highly efficient off Amazon or ebay.
Awesome idea with the lettuce! I just wonder how effective it would be with a heavily planted tank sch as mine.

Didn't you buy clown loaches to get rid of them?
No, you're thinking if another member. I forget who that was... But I hate it when people get a fish just for algae or snails... Both are not that bad actually. Just clean your tank lol

I tried with a piece of boiled cucumber, by the morning they were full up and only 3 were left on the cucumber 😂 will try some lettuce next, will it need to be boiled aswell?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back