Help I Need Advice 7 Fish Dead In A Matter Of A Week!

bubblej17

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi all, ok heres my story,
my friend had a tank he wanted rid of so i said i'd have it, its an aqua one 620, it came with 2x angel fish 1x large silver shark, 1x plec, 2x tetra, 1x mollie and 2x goldfish!!, so first off i filled the tank up put stress coat in aswell as tapsafe let the fish settle down for a few days then it was time to give the tank a complete make over and a good scrub and clean (it was poorly looked after and over stocked i think)
so a house move was in order for the plec, 2 angels which went into my fella's 6ft6 fish tank and the goldfish got slowly acclimatised to cold water again and into my daughters tank,
anyway back to my tank, gave it a good clean added new gravel and filled back up with water left the filters the way they were with plenty of good bacteria put the tetra'a back in and the mollie and gave it another few days then i thought time to restock it so off i went and got 6 albino cory's and 3 female mollies no more than 24 hours later i had a dead cory so took it back to the lfs along with a sample of water, which came back fine so i got my new fish and off home i went acclamtised the cory as i do with all my fish, then another 24 hours later i had another dead cory so i checked my levels and there was a slight trace of ammonia but nothing drastic but i did a 25% water change anyway, another day passed and yes you guessed another dead cory, now im starting to wander if its a weak cory stock at the lfs,
i tested my levels again and there was only a very very slight trace of nitrite and i mean very very slight trace, so another water change,
just went i thought things were getting better i returned from work to find another 3 dead cory's, and lastnight my poor male mollie died, my levels now are pretty much spot on, so why are my fish dying could it be just weak stock or i have i done something wrong?? and what can i do to make it right? any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Where did you leave the filter before you put it back in the tank?,what do you mean by clean the tank? just a good rinse or did you use any cleaning products? did you notice anything weird about the fish before they died?

Also you should only add a couple of fish at a time to let the beneficial bacteria mature to cope with the extra load, i know you said your levels are ok but its possible a spike came and went before u tested.

As above says, what did u use to clean the tank?

thanks for you replies, i didnt use anything to clean the tank just water and an algea magnet thats it, and the aqua one has a built in filter system so was not removed, as for anything odd about fish before they died nope they all seemed fine i kept corys years ago and never had any problems at all, i just dont understand whats happening, and hoping its just weak stock, anymore suggestions or advice welcome, thanks

Try a different lfs and see how it goes,it could just be to do with poorly bred stock

Maybe is just down to the stock, and the mollie? how old was is? could of just been old.

Maybe is just down to the stock, and the mollie? how old was is? could of just been old.

hey, yes im putting it down to stock as ive baffled people on here as to what it could be, as for the mollie im not sure how old it was will ask my mate next time i see him, but my 3 new pregnant mollies are all well as are the tetras and my remaining cory is looking well up to now anyways!! :) will do a few more water changes then try stock for a different lfs, thanks for taking your time to reply people

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back