Help! I can't identify a tiny species that's cropped up in my tank!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

whatacooldog

Reaction score
Hi! There are MANY MANY MANY very tiny white dots roving about in my tank, mainly on the glass. They are round with almost an elliptical or pear-like shape. They move really fast. It almost looks there's some on my fish as well. I am struggling greatly to ID these (is it snails, ick, copepods, or something else?). Any tips or pointers as to what they may be would be really appreciated! I just want to make sure my fish is safe.

Tank info: I have a 5.5 gallon betta tank housing only one male betta whom I have had for over a year with a sponge filter, some fake structural decor, live plants (none of which have been introduced recently at all), gravel with a substrate underneath (dont remember the specific kind, apologies) and a temp of what looks to be 79 or 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Attachments

• 20200407_180657.jpg
    20200407_180657.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200407_180832.jpg
    20200407_180832.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 96
Usually "bugs" show up when there is a lot of uneaten food in the gravel. Vacuum your gravel and do a water change, do it again tomorrow if there are still some in the tank. More than likely copepods

Usually "bugs" show up when there is a lot of uneaten food in the gravel. Vacuum your gravel and do a water change, do it again tomorrow if there are still some in the tank. More than likely copepods
Thanks for the tip! I'll do a water change then! If you don't mind me asking, can copepods or "bugs" cause my fish harm or stress him? Do you think I should I remove him from the tank?

Try and vacuum the tank every week when you do your water change and watch how much food you feed your Betta. If there is little to no food for them to eat they will not show up. Like @Stan510 said just food for fish but I am sure you do not want to see those little "bugs" in your tank.

Thank you to both of you for taking the time to reply! I'm just happy to know they won't be bothering my fish, and I'll be more careful w food and vacuuming. I'm doing a water change tonight!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back