April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

jessicarf00

Reaction score
i made a post last night about how my betta is breathing heavily and pacing after doing a water change. today he isnā€™t pacing as much but still seems to be breathing heavy. i just tested the water and the ph looks like itā€™s around 8 - 8.2. yikes! is this whatā€™s causing his behavior? how should i lower the ph? i have indian almond leaf powder coming in the mail which should be here on wednesday or thursday, and i know that can help lower the ph , is it safe to wait that long? will it lower it enough? iā€™d appreciate any advice!! thanks!

Attachments

• E5E24239-F0DB-4AD5-9461-97651A5BAD76.jpeg
    E5E24239-F0DB-4AD5-9461-97651A5BAD76.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 76
And with tap water, you need to test some freshly run water, then let a glass of water to stand overnight then test that.

Do you know how hard your water is? You water provider's website may give you that information. If it is very hard, your KH would also be high and the pH will be very difficult to change as KH resists pH changes.

i just tested it and it seems to be about 7.2-7.4

If this is the tap water, did you out-gas the CO2? This is what @Essjay was referring to by letting some tap water sit 24 hours befor testing. CO2 is often present in tap water, and it will/can cause a lower pH but temporarily.

Also, from the photo, the pH is more likely in the high 7's not 7.2-7.4. Given the results from the two pH tests, the "high range" test is the one you should be using. It will be more accurate. The regular range test is blue, which could be 7.6 but it could also be higher, as the blue is the highest this test measures. [I hope this makes sense.]

If this is the tap water, did you out-gas the CO2? This is what @Essjay was referring to by letting some tap water sit 24 hours befor testing. CO2 is often present in tap water, and it will/can cause a lower pH but temporarily.

Also, from the photo, the pH is more likely in the high 7's not 7.2-7.4. Given the results from the two pH tests, the "high range" test is the one you should be using. It will be more accurate. The regular range test is blue, which could be 7.6 but it could also be higher, as the blue is the highest this test measures. [I hope this makes sense.]
okay, (and yes i can tell what you mean:) this is just straight tap water. right after testing i filled a cup with water to test tomorrow.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back