Help Help Convict Has Orange Stomach!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Zagggon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I read that that means it's pregnant. Is that true? If so thats bad cuzz I dont have another tank to put her in and the male will prolyl eat the eggs +(!!

Orange belly means she is "ripe" and is ready to breed. If she has eggs then she will be orange and very fat. You might also see her egg tube.

Oh good cuzz if she has eggs I think the other fish, oscar/green terrors, will eat them.

Orange just means its a female.. doesn't mean it's full of eggs or ready to breed or anything like that.

Orange on the belly just distinguishes females from males.

No it wouldnt be so bad I guess if all the eggs got eaten but it would be cool to have babies =/.

Also thanks for the info guys, never knew that an orange stomach indicated that. I have two convicts that are fairly small, one is a little smaller than the other and does not have an orange stomach, while the other larger one does, does this mean I have a pair since one doesnt have an orange stomach and the other does?

No it wouldnt be so bad I guess if all the eggs got eaten but it would be cool to have babies =/.

Also thanks for the info guys, never knew that an orange stomach indicated that. I have two convicts that are fairly small, one is a little smaller than the other and does not have an orange stomach, while the other larger one does, does this mean I have a pair since one doesnt have an orange stomach and the other does?

Not necasarilly. Females have orange bellies and shorter more rounded off fins.
Males are larger, have pointed, extended fins and maybe a hump on its head. No orange.
They wouldnt necasarilly "pair up" but they might.

the only fin thats really any different is the anal fin.

i think its the analfin. one below the tail?

anyway, on males thats quite a bit longer and tends reach a lil further than the females.

the females curls up to touch the tail fin.

as for the red bellies. pretty sure thats only when there ready to breed cos my females didnt always have them.

oh and you probably dont want babys unless you have someone to eat them.

i had some that i tried to post off to people and it was so much hassle i gave up. guess i could jus have awkward post offices lol.

most LFS wont take them you see. too common these days.

Okay well the one with orange belly is only an inch big, which I thought was to small to breed. I guess size doesnt matter with them.

Most reactions

trending

Back