Help -heavily Pregnant Molly Constantly Chased By Male

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishnovice

Fish Herder
Reaction score
TWO URGENT QUESTIONS, both relating to heavily pregnant black molly.

HASSLING BY MALE - male molly has been occasionally sniffing around her anal fin the last 2 weeks. Normally they get on well and he doesn't bother her much but last night he started chasing her all over the tank. Put in lots of plastic plants to give her somewhere to hide. No use, he follows her like a shadow constantly sniffing her anal fin and somtimes poking her belly with his nose. This morning he was still chasing her -she must be exhausted. Mollies share a tank with a couple of smaller peaceful swordtails
Should I
1. Remove male molly to give her a rest and leave her in the tank. Will swordtails eat her fry when she gives birth?
2. Move pregnant female to small birth tank on her own. Is there any way of speeding up birth? (see below)

OVERDUE BIRTH - Got a pair of black mollies about 2 inches long 12 weeks ago. Was told female was pregnant and she certainly looked it. She has now grown much fatter and is squared off at the bottom but still no fry. She's long overdue but no sign of white ball near caudal fin . Can't see gravid spot as she's black.(No she has given birth and eaten them, she's very fat). She sometimes hangs around heater and in corners -always has done- but is fit healthy and active. I'm not overfeeding as all other fish are slim.
What can I do to speed up the birth? I've read horrific tales on this forum of heavily pregnant livebearers splitting in two and don't want to lose her.

I don't really know, I'm a novice to fish keeping.

However, I think anyone who could answer would find it useful to know how small the "small birth tank" is?

This is completely normal... happens every time i have a pregers female.... what i do is just leave it.
i dont no why the male does this,( i think its so he can eat whatever come out)

but then again im not sure

lol im watching mine do this right now, you female could be put in a smaller isolation tank.
tbh i see the fry as a problem ive had so many broods it got boring and now the molly fry are just left to fend for themselves in my comunity... i do care just as much for them as the other fish and many survive...

im sure your fry n female will be fine

TWO URGENT QUESTIONS, both relating to heavily pregnant black molly.

HASSLING BY MALE - male molly has been occasionally sniffing around her anal fin the last 2 weeks. Normally they get on well and he doesn't bother her much but last night he started chasing her all over the tank. Put in lots of plastic plants to give her somewhere to hide. No use, he follows her like a shadow constantly sniffing her anal fin and somtimes poking her belly with his nose. This morning he was still chasing her -she must be exhausted. Mollies share a tank with a couple of smaller peaceful swordtails
Should I
1. Remove male molly to give her a rest and leave her in the tank. Will swordtails eat her fry when she gives birth?
2. Move pregnant female to small birth tank on her own. Is there any way of speeding up birth? (see below)

OVERDUE BIRTH - Got a pair of black mollies about 2 inches long 12 weeks ago. Was told female was pregnant and she certainly looked it. She has now grown much fatter and is squared off at the bottom but still no fry. She's long overdue but no sign of white ball near caudal fin . Can't see gravid spot as she's black.(No she has given birth and eaten them, she's very fat). She sometimes hangs around heater and in corners -always has done- but is fit healthy and active. I'm not overfeeding as all other fish are slim.
What can I do to speed up the birth? I've read horrific tales on this forum of heavily pregnant livebearers splitting in two and don't want to lose her.
Thts a tough one..but i can tell you she is bein chased bc shes about to give birth!! Like very very soon. When they are close to birth they giv off a pheromone which drives the males nuts..hence the behavior. Its NOT agreed on WHY. Either he kniws babys r coming & wants a snack or the smell jus makes thm aggressive & nuts! Im goin thru this right niw! I literally just took her from the main tank as she was being harrassed so bad i could tell she was very stressed & was being chased by 4 males in my tank..mostly male PLATY FISH Not even sexually mature! Crazy..so i started reseaching & it fit to the T!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back