Help! Guppies Staying on Bottom and Refusing to Eat

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RhettM

Reaction score
About two weeks ago I purchased three male guppies. I put them in a 3 gallon tank with a interior power filter and preformed a 25% water change about every 2 weeks. Everything seemed to be going just fine until yesterday one of them got stuck in the filter and died. Now I am starting to notice that the remaining two guppies are not eating hardly anything and one of them has been consistently hanging out at the bottom of the tank and seems to be rolling over sometimes. I've turned off the filter because I think it was too much for them to handle. The temperature in the tank hangs around 68 degrees. Is there anything I can do to help these guys out? Also do you think I should replace the guppy that died?

Attachments

• IMG_0319.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 21
Sorry, but I see lots of problems with your current set-up. 3 gallons is very difficult to keep chemically stable because it's such a small amount of water, and also you should have a small tank heater to keep your guppies water temperature at 72-82 degrees <-- that is probably why they are staying on the bottom. I assume we are talking about fahrenheit (not celcius). Also, I would be doing probably a gallon water change every single day. Such a small amount isn't hard for you, but would keep the water cleaner for the Fish. You should really try to upgrade to at least a 10 gallon tank for the guppies. I wouldn't get anymore for now. Last thing, it takes typically around 6 weeks for the water to cycle on a brand new tank and a lot of people will have fish die if they put them in without waiting for this cycle to complete, or without treating the water with PRIME or something equivalent, adding live aquatic plants also helps a lot!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back