7E9DB4F5-B062-4340-AABE-3F971194B5F0.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 128
  • F8D03645-9A5C-46C0-BBDD-C202C75A8FB0.jpeg
    F8D03645-9A5C-46C0-BBDD-C202C75A8FB0.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 126
  • D83203BB-7B03-487F-A3B1-D57938ACFB88.jpeg
    D83203BB-7B03-487F-A3B1-D57938ACFB88.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 107
Not looking good. He looks to have dropsy. It isn't a disease, but its the result of another underlying issue that has caused some pretty bad damage internally. Bacterial infections usually cause it and he may have had a compromised immune system due to stress/bad water quality etc.

Its nearly impossible to treat. Most fish die, some can be saved if caught early. I've seen some use epsom salt baths and Kanaplex to try treat it. Epsom salt worked for me for a time, but didn't solve the issue entirely.

Not looking good. He looks to have dropsy. It isn't a disease, but its the result of another underlying issue that has caused some pretty bad damage internally. Bacterial infections usually cause it and he may have had a compromised immune system due to stress/bad water quality etc.

Its nearly impossible to treat. Most fish die, some can be saved if caught early. I've seen some use epsom salt baths and Kanaplex to try treat it. Epsom salt worked for me for a time, but didn't solve the issue entirely.
Is it because of the filter? Everytime he stuck “next to the filter” this happen

No. A filter won't cause dropsy. A sick fish will sometimes lie against a filter. But did you say you turned the filter off for a night? That would mean your water wasn't being filtered and the bacteria in the filter didn't have the water flowing over them. Either way, I've never had a fish survive dropsy. You can give epsom salt baths and Kanaplex a go. I usually euthanize.

No. A filter won't cause dropsy. A sick fish will sometimes lie against a filter. But did you say you turned the filter off for a night? That would mean your water wasn't being filtered and the bacteria in the filter didn't have the water flowing over them. Either way, I've never had a fish survive dropsy. You can give epsom salt baths and Kanaplex a go. I usually euthanize.
How to do epsom bath?

I disagree. He’s a Lionhead goldfish and they are shaped that way. I don’t see his scales sticking up but perhaps I’m going blind. That’s why it’s so important to consider the breed of fish before suggesting treatment or especially, euthanasia. Do As I told you last week. Cover the intake valve with a panty hose. A healthy fish really shouldn’t be getting sucked in but I know your other one did. It’s either that or a bacterial infection to which you can treat. Can we get a pic of your filter?

Note: pic of Lionhead
2312817C-3EE7-4226-BE18-133EA5941C62.jpeg

Last edited:
Is your filter a HOB, under-gravel, or internal? What are your water parameters?

Is he always at the bottom, or has he just started doing that?

I don’t see his scales sticking up
The middle photo of the three does look very much as though his scales are sticking up, though it's not as clear in the first and third.

I disagree. He’s a Lionhead goldfish and they are shaped that way. I don’t see his scales sticking up but perhaps I’m going blind. That’s why it’s so important to consider the breed of fish before suggesting treatment or especially, euthanasia. Do As I told you last week. Cover the intake valve with a panty hose. A healthy fish really shouldn’t be getting sucked in but I know your other one did. It’s either that or a bacterial infection to which you can treat. Can we get a pic of your filter?

Attachments

• 35D5B3CB-607D-4C14-82F2-C9B4E84F7381.jpeg
    35D5B3CB-607D-4C14-82F2-C9B4E84F7381.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 35EE6F14-616D-41AB-9450-29E193CC200D.jpeg
    35EE6F14-616D-41AB-9450-29E193CC200D.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 116
Definitely looks like it’s scales are sticking up. What is that filter? I can’t remember the same of it.

Is it a canister filter?

The middle photo of the three does look very much as though his scales are sticking up, though it's not as clear in the first and third.
The scales are normal for lionhead goldfish.

Oh gosh, the last pic you sent does show his scales pineconing. I’m afraid the group is right. He needs to be euthanized. I’m sorry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back