HELP! GILL DISEASE, GROWTHS...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Safecookie

Reaction score
So I have a issue here. I never had this before in 10yrs but recently had a couple of fish develop these GROWTHS on gills. One is a black widdow tetra with a large black growth pushing out his Gill on one side. The other pic is a rainbow boesmani with a white Gill growth. Very strange, I have, however read this is not unusual for boesmani it's a cancer type thing and it's just how it goes. Both are acting normally but the tetra is breathing harder as you would expect. Tank is 800lt with 3 x 16 gallon water changes a week with partially ro filtered water left to disapate chlorine over a couple of days. The tests all show perfect conditions accross all api and alk tests, temps constant. Never had a spike in 5yrs of set up on any test always perfect due to goot filtration and large water area per fish setup. Nothing new nothing changed recently. Even had fry in the last few weeks (think the boesmani) so conditions must be faverable.

The question is. Is this just a thing. I can't see any signs of Gill flukes, any other symptoms. No fungus no ick. No infections. Added a dose of salt over a few days, changed in-coming water filters just incase.

If this is Gill disease i cant find similar symptoms. Or any issue with my other fish of all species. Would anyone recommend any course of meds? I don't med without just cause in a tank this size and I have not the space or setup for a hospital tank right now.
16528150283361433702131409472688.jpg

20220511_222606.jpg
20220511_222705.jpg

How long did it take the tumours to appear and grow?

Gill tumours are common in rainbowfish and are sometimes associated with Fish TB (tuberculosis). The fish usually develop them when a couple of years old or older. Your rainbowfish look young and less than 1 year old but I could be wrong. But generally M. boesemani should be about 4 inches long when 1 year old.

The tumour growth on the black widow tetra could be a tumour or a large clump of blood from an injury. If it grew slowly over a period of time then it's probably a tumour. These normally occur in older fish, which the black widow tetras appear to be.

There's no cure for tumours and you just leave the fish until it has trouble breathing, eating or swimming, and then euthanise them.

--------------------
Rainbowfish need lots of plant matter in their diet and at least 50% of their diet should be plant based. You can use vege flakes/ pellets, live aquarium plants like Duckweed, marine algae from Asian supermarkets, and fruits n veges like pumpkin and zucchini (blanched to soften them up).

How long did it take the tumours to appear and grow?

Gill tumours are common in rainbowfish and are sometimes associated with Fish TB (tuberculosis). The fish usually develop them when a couple of years old or older. Your rainbowfish look young and less than 1 year old but I could be wrong. But generally M. boesemani should be about 4 inches long when 1 year old.

The tumour growth on the black widow tetra could be a tumour or a large clump of blood from an injury. If it grew slowly over a period of time then it's probably a tumour. These normally occur in older fish, which the black widow tetras appear to be.

There's no cure for tumours and you just leave the fish until it has trouble breathing, eating or swimming, and then euthanise them.

--------------------
Rainbowfish need lots of plant matter in their diet and at least 50% of their diet should be plant based. You can use vege flakes/ pellets, live aquarium plants like Duckweed, marine algae from Asian supermarkets, and fruits n veges like pumpkin and zucchini (blanched to soften them up).
Thanks for the reply. Yes the rainbows are just about 7 months and the tetra this is larger of them so over a year at least they vary as I added to the school at the same time. The tumours I would say are relatively recent as I had not fully noticed previously but the worst one the black tetra has noticeably got bigger over the last few weeks. Strangely I did have a diffrent smaller tetra that seemed to have a similar white growth but that seemed to disappear over time and made no lasting issue.
I feed a varried diet of different flakes, pellets and diffrent foods due to diffrent fish and plec with additional (cucumber and shelled peas here and there) I will get some more plant based as a addition and increase that too on this advice. It's strange I have never had this issue with other fish historically but rainbows are new to my usual type of community fish and I have read they do get these and there is no treatment. As previously said they are not really suffering any problems at present in thier usual lives.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back