Help! Giant Red Blob Hanging Off My Molly!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HCpetraitis

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have no idea what this is. It can't be a baby because it is still hanging there. It is like really redish clear. It can't be poop because again its just hanging there. I'm really worried because for two weeks now I've had a terrible case of fin rot in my tank. I have been treating it with all kinds of stuff. My molly is about 8 months old and i'm not sure if she was ever pregnant. There is a male that is her brother :/ so i dont know if that could effect anything. I took some pictures of her but they arent really the best. sorry! She shows no signs of stress but it sure looks scary!

214-1.jpg

215.jpg

216.jpg

Please help! I would really like to save my fish!!!

Prolapse, either of the oviduct (where the fry develop) or part of the intestine... I honestly dont' think there's anything you can do and if it was my fish I'd euthanise. Sorry to give you such bad news :(

Alright. I hate this kind of news. :( But thank you very much. She was always a happy fish. But do you know what could have caused this?

has she given birth recently or been constipated? both of these can cause things to 'pop' out. i had a guppy once with a prolapse, it only stuck out a tiny bit and went back in a little while later, sadly the guppy died the next day (infection perhaps?), sorry to say yours looks to far out to be able to go back in and as laura frog says euthanasia is probably the kindest thing to do :)

Shes still alive and the sad part is it has come way farther out. :( I feel bad because I'm way too much of a wimp to euthanise her. I just can't! :/

HC - All you need to think is, would you rather her swim around in pain or give her a quick pain relief.. :( I know it sounds harsh, but its for the best. :good:

Hows the fish.

She is still alive and she doesn't look in pain. She is swimming around with her brother( mate) and the blob has started going back in... i dont know if this is good but i sure hope it is!

Keep a look out for these signs.

Long stringy white poo or clear mucas poo.
Red inflamed anus or enlarged anus.
Fish will look skinny or bloated.
Worms prutruding from the anus.
Bent spine.
Fish will swim on its side.
Sunken in belly.

ok shes still doing good. I'll watch out for the signs but she seems pretty good. It came in a little more today... Hopefully thats good!

Has the prolapse retracted back in now.

Any update with the fish? This is happening to my platy now and I have never seen it in 33 years of owning fish... How long did it last with your fish. What was your treatment? What is the outcome? I woudl love to hear more information on what you found out about this...

Alright. I hate this kind of news. :( But thank you very much. She was always a happy fish. But do you know what could have caused this?

Any update with the fish? This is happening to my platy now and I have never seen it in 33 years of owning fish... How long did it last with your fish. What was your treatment? What is the outcome? I would love to hear more information on what you found out about this...

Any update with the fish? This is happening to my platy now and I have never seen it in 33 years of owning fish... How long did it last with your fish. What was your treatment? What is the outcome? I woudl love to hear more information on what you found out about this...

Any update with the fish? This is happening to my platy now and I have never seen it in 33 years of owning fish... How long did it last with your fish. What was your treatment? What is the outcome? I would love to hear more information on what you found out about this...
Just wanted to point out that this is a really old thread that somehow was brought back up. That said, a male guppy of mine had that happen. It occured after I treated his tank for worms. The day it happened, I euthanized him because I was pretty sure it was his intestines hanging out and I cannot imagine how that could be cured.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back