Help getting wisteria to grow?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kristeng1215

Reaction score
I recently redid my betta tank & added some new live plants, one being some water wisteria. I tried this plant once in the past with a different tank (planted in substrate) but it all ended up dying from the roots up. This time, it looked like the bottoms were mostly rotting when I took it out of the packaging so I decided to float it on top of the water until it looks healthy enough to plant. Pulled off any leaves that were visibly dead but left the rest alone. The leaves are now starting to brown and fall off. I read online that this plant is supposed to be extremely hardy and should not be dying this easily. What am I doing wrong?
Tank is 10 gallons, caribbsea super naturals sand, heated, aquaclear 20 filter. LED light and dosing 1-2x a week with Fluval flourish.
Posting photos of the tank, as well as the plants upon opening.

Attachments

• B09E3F51-B155-483A-9444-9A7D8A8B2973.jpeg
    B09E3F51-B155-483A-9444-9A7D8A8B2973.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 7EDF52EB-1E80-4380-AB84-97234AB9B57B.jpeg
    7EDF52EB-1E80-4380-AB84-97234AB9B57B.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 99
That looks nothing like either forms of my water Wisteria. Other people here may have more experience of the plant though

The plant in the left picture has been grown out of water and has terrestrial leaves. These will rot/ fall off and should be replaced with aquatic leaves.

If the base of the plant has been damaged it will rot. Use a sharp pair of scissors to cut the rotting parts off.

-----------------
How long is the light on for?

Most aquarium plants like a bit of light and if you only have the light on for a couple of hours a day, they struggle. If the light doesn't have a high enough wattage they also struggle. Try having the tank lights on for 10-12 hours a day.

If you get lots of green algae then reduce the light by an hour a day and monitor the algae over the next 2 weeks.
If you don't get any green algae on the glass then increase the lighting period by an hour and monitor it.
If you get a small amount of algae then the lighting time is about right.

Some plants will close their leaves up when they have had sufficient light. Ambulia, Hygrophilas and a few others close their top set of leaves first, then the next set and so on down the stem. When you see this happening, wait an hour after the leaves have closed up against the stem and then turn lights off.

The plant in the left picture has been grown out of water and has terrestrial leaves. These will rot/ fall off and should be replaced with aquatic leaves.

If the base of the plant has been damaged it will rot. Use a sharp pair of scissors to cut the rotting parts off.

-----------------

Most aquarium plants like a bit of light and if you only have the light on for a couple of hours a day, they struggle. If the light doesn't have a high enough wattage they also struggle. Try having the tank lights on for 10-12 hours a day.

If you get lots of green algae then reduce the light by an hour a day and monitor the algae over the next 2 weeks.
If you don't get any green algae on the glass then increase the lighting period by an hour and monitor it.

Some plants will close their leaves up when they have had sufficient light. Ambulia, Hygrophilas and a few others close their top set of leaves first, then the next set and so on down the stem. When you see this happening, wait an hour after the leaves have closed up against the stem and then turn lights off.

Is the rotting part whatever is brown? I didn’t cut the stems at all because there were roots at the bottom and didn’t want to kill them even faster/ easier lol. I could take them out and trim them now if necessary! I was keeping the light on pretty much all day from when I wake up to when I get home from work (6am- 4pm) but I started developing some bad algae which ultimately let to me breaking down the tank and starting almost completely over.

-----------------

Also how can you tell it was grown out of the water?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back