heavenlydi

Reaction score
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 1.5 years
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 77.4
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Two cory Julii catfish, two neon tetras

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly or more often if levels are not adequate
How much of the water do you change? Normal levels- 25%. Bad levels - 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Stability & Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API Freshwater master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Neons - Twice daily Cory catfish - once
How much do you feed your fish? Neons - pinch of ground up flakes Cory catfish- bottom feeder pellets - 3 pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish? API
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Freeze dried

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Two days
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Just now
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Cory catfish has noticeable red vein on head that wasn't there previously. Fins are clamped, laying on bottom. When he's bumped he goes crazy swimming very oddly - side ways, upside down, tries to flop himself out of the water, then returns to the bottom of the tank where he remains until process is repeated. His gills are rapidly going
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Yesterday it wasn't moving around much, but when it did it swam just fine and was behaving normally, with fins up and gills not going rapidly. Did not have the red vein on its head

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
Just got him/her on Wednesday. All listed fish are in the quarantine tank. Cory catfish has noticeable red vein on head today that wasn't there yesterday. Fins are clamped, laying on bottom. When he's bumped he goes crazy swimming very oddly - upside down, tries to flop himself out of the water, then returns to the bottom of the tank where he remains until process is repeated. His gills are rapidly going. Yesterday it wasn't moving around much, but when it did it swam just fine and was behaving normally, with fins up and gills not going rapidly. Did not have the red vein on its head. Rest of fish are acting normally and active, swimming just fine. I have an older Cory catfish in another tank that has shown none of those symptoms. No fish in the tank have shown aggression towards each other. Everyone was great yesterday

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 94
I know swim bladder problems are uncommon in catfish, but it sounds like this could be the issue. From the movements this sounds like what happened to one of my pygmy corydora when I got him from the shop.

UPDATE: My catfish has now passed away. The redness that was in the vein on his/her head had now spread to its belly as well. It looks like hemorrhagic septicemia, which I've read can be very contagious and fatal.

What do I do with the tank and the remaining fish in it who are not showing symptoms? How do you sanitize a fish tank? Should I treat them before they show symptoms or wait until they show symptoms? What's my best bet in treating them if I should?

UPDATE: My catfish has now passed away. The redness that was in the vein on his/her head had now spread to its belly as well. It looks like hemorrhagic septicemia, which I've read can be very contagious and fatal.

What do I do with the tank and the remaining fish in it who are not showing symptoms? How do you sanitize a fish tank? Should I treat them before they show symptoms or wait until they show symptoms? What's my best bet in treating them if I should?
First, I would say do a 75% water change. I was told to always do a large water change after a death. I don't know about treatment for the other fish as I have no experience with this.

Jesus !! Iv not seen such a long winded post about a fish that has died so nobody can help or comment. Why do folk ,like , somebody asking a question and they don't respond but feel the need to like them,, bizarre tbh.
Don't worry but keep with future maintenance n water changes and you will be fine. These things happen even in the best of tanks. Look after it more closely n you will be fine.

Here is a link to what came up when I googled it. Doesn't look like there is much you can do for it if it is this disease.

Although, it seems a little unlikely. It could be stress related health issues. I know both kinds of fish you have are schooling fish and are supposed to be kept in groups. When/if you get more don't forget to quarantine them so potential problems don't spread.

Other said about the death so I'll say about tank size for both fish and correct numbers of stocking for these species.
Corydoras need a 20 gallon tank and a shoal of 6 or more, same for neons.
However neons need a long tank and soft water, both species require, bigger tank than you are offering, soft water and shoal of 6 or more.
What is your pH, GH and KH?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back