Help! Dojo Is Stuck!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

luckyd

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
We bought a dojo loach yesterday. Today we couldn't find him anywhere and took the whole tank apart to find him. Finally we spotted him stuck at the back of the tank. We have a 34-gallon red sea, which can be used as a freshwater or marine tank. The water passes through a grate on the right back of the tank, then routes through two sponges, under a skimmer that we don't use, through a heater chamber, then through charcoal and ceramic bricks and back through jets on the left back of the tank.

Unfortunately, smaller fish sometimes go through the filter grate. It's happened before with danios but we always managed to fish them out unharmed near the heater chamber area (somehow they always get past the sponges). But it seems the dojo is stuck under the skimmer motor which cannot be removed (we've tried!). He might be able to get out if he's a genius and figures his way out of the maze but we definitely can't get to him. Please send any creative ideas you might have on how to rescue him.

Also, if the worst happens and he gets trapped and dies down there, how much water damage would that cause, and how would we best deal with it.

Thanks for any ideas you can send.

Update: It turns out the dojo is a genius after all! :lol: He reappeared this morning just in time for feeding. Somehow he can get his little self all over the front and back of the tank. Still, it worries us. If anyone has ever had this problem, and found a solution for creating a barrier over the grid that won't slow down the water flow, I would love to hear it.

Hi luckyd :)

I'm glad that your loach escaped! :yahoo: Since its problem is no longer an emergency, I'll move your thread over to the Hardware and DIY section. Some of our members can be quite creative and with a little luck, perhaps one can figure out a way to help you. :D

Update: It turns out the dojo is a genius after all! :lol: He reappeared this morning just in time for feeding. Somehow he can get his little self all over the front and back of the tank. Still, it worries us. If anyone has ever had this problem, and found a solution for creating a barrier over the grid that won't slow down the water flow, I would love to hear it.

Glad Dojo managed to escape! :good: Maybe you could try getting your hands on a sheet of fine net mesh and somehow fasten it onto the grill. It shouldn't restrict flow and should stop fish swimming down! :crazy:

Thank you! I look forward to hearing all your ideas.

Most reactions

Back