Help Decideing What Type Of Fish To Get

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AllForAnimals

Reaction score
I am giving away my lizard and want some fish. I want easy-to-care-for fish but interesting ones. I found some sharks at Wall-Mart and like them a lot. I think they are called Balla Sharks they are Grey with dark black stripes on their body and their fins, and mouth are tipped black also. They get to about 8-9inches long I think. They are really interesting they are fresh water sharks they live in groups or that is how they are housed at wall-mart I am really wanting to get some I think my tank is big enough it is 15gallon wide and long and 30gallon tall. any help would be appreciated.

not quite sure on your tank size?
bala sharks are also known as silver sharks and can hit 12-14 inches but most don't get bigger than 7-8inches in tanks. They do best in groups. They jump so a cover on the tank is required. Keep them in water with a neutral PH (7.0). They are a true freshwater fish related to barbs.
If your tank holds 100litres or more then you could get a group of small ones but eventually they would need a bigger tank to allow them room to grow and move freely.

ah i was on your topic earlier, its a 56litre right? so roughly 15 gal, any other fish that you like? balas/siler sharks grow way too big for this tank

They are to big and are not beginner fish..I would personally go for livebearers, tetras or cyprinids like barbs or danios :D

ah i was on your topic earlier, its a 56litre right? so roughly 15 gal, any other fish that you like? balas/siler sharks grow way too big for this tank

yea I didn't post it on twice on purpose the size is difficult sorta it is as wide and long as a 15 gallon tank and is as tall as a 30gallan I also like Betas but I kinda want a more active fish I definitly want a freshwater I have had some experiance in fish keeping I would prob be like an intermideiat I know I don't seem it but I have had lots of fish before I just didn't know what kind of fish to get this time. Any recamended fish?

They are to big and are not beginner fish..I would personally go for livebearers, tetras or cyprinids like barbs or danios :D

I don't too much like live bearers just the fact you can't easily tell male from female but mabe danios Id like something of a good size

live bearers are the easiest of fish to tell male and female apart :blink:

danios - dont get any larger then a well fed guppy and they arent as eaily sexed. :huh:

I would suggest some pearl and opaline gouramis. Those were my first fish, and man were they fantastic. I don't know which "level" they'd be considered, but they were very simple to keep healthy and active. And what beautiful fish they are! I believe the both grow up to 5", but you might wanna double check. I kept them in a 55G for the first few months while they were small. I would also look at mollies and any sort of tetra. It's almost impossible to kill tetras. Hardiest fish I ever did come across.

live bearers are the easiest of fish to tell male and female apart :blink:

danios - dont get any larger then a well fed guppy and they arent as eaily sexed. :huh:
oops I did that backwords I meant I don't too much like Danios just the fact you can't easily tell male from female but mabe other live bearers but Id like something of a good size (big)

Generally if you want big fish you need a big tank. Sorry, but you wouldn't try to keep a great dane in a closet would you? There are a few exceptions, as there are some large fish that are very sedentary...but you said you wanted active fish.

With such a small foot print I'd recommend going with maybe sparkling gouramis, and perhaps some small tetras or rasboras. You could even do a pair of rams or apistos if your water is soft enough.

Generally if you want big fish you need a big tank. Sorry, but you wouldn't try to keep a great dane in a closet would you? There are a few exceptions, as there are some large fish that are very sedentary...but you said you wanted active fish.

With such a small foot print I'd recommend going with maybe sparkling gouramis, and perhaps some small tetras or rasboras. You could even do a pair of rams or apistos if your water is soft enough.

I didn't really mean "big" by Gigantic I meant like the biggest for my tank i'll think about the gouramis my mom had some before so mabe

Most reactions

trending

Back