Help! Botia problem. Questions.

Reaction score
I have a tank with multiple nano fish and in this tank, 60 gallon, one Botia Rostrata and a You yo. They are both babies, about 1 1/4 inches, each. They are acting weird and flashing or scratching on everything. Parameters are perfect, no outward signs of disease and ALL other fish are fine. Everyone, including the botias, are eeating normally. ANY answers would be greatly appreciated.

Always give us the numbers of any tests you have done. Parameters refers to GH, KH, pH and temperature. Conditions are things like ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. We need to know all of tyhese if you can, but always give numbers rather than terms which may mean something very different.

Also, how long has the tank been running, and how long have these fish be in it? And what other fish are in this tank?

Always give us the numbers of any tests you have done. Parameters refers to GH, KH, pH and temperature. Conditions are things like ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. We need to know all of tyhese if you can, but always give numbers rather than terms which may mean something very different.

Also, how long has the tank been running, and how long have these fish be in it? And what other fish are in this tank?
The tank has been running about 4 years, never any real problems. Currently water is: zero ammonia, nitrites, five to seven nitrates, no chlorine or chloramine, no heavy metals, alkalinity 3meq/liter, total hardness 110. Working on GH and KH figures now. The only other fish are 5 small neons, 3 harlequin Rasboras who school with 2 dwarf emerald Rasboras, and currently 3 baby albino tiger barbs who will be moving in with big ones soon. But not til I figure this out.

GH is total or general hardness, so 110 I assume is in ppm (110 dGH wold be solid rock just about!). That's soft water, so no issues there with these fish.

Flashing can be due to several things, the most common of which is ich. Long before any spots are seen, and they may never be seen if the fish are able to deal with ich, the fish flash as ich first attacks their gills. Other causes are gill flukes. And water condition problems like ammonia, nitrite, high nitrate, but none of theses are evidenced from the numbers. Parameters are OK for these fish. I don't want to speculate on the issue as heading off in any treatment can make things far worse.

pics and video of the fish?

how long have you had them for?
how long have they been acting like this?
did you add anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?

I dont currently have pics or video, i shake too bad to take them and my daughter is not home yet. Ive had the largest one about a year and the little guys 2 to 4 months. This started about 2 1/2 weeks ago. There have been nothing new for the last 4 weeks. I qt everything.

I dont currently have pics or video, i shake too bad to take them and my daughter is not home yet. Ive had the largest one about a year and the little guys 2 to 4 months. This started about 2 1/2 weeks ago. There have been nothing new for the last 4 weeks. I qt everything.
But you made this post three months ago? Has the flashing etc been going on for the last three months?

What started in the last two and a half weeks?

Started to write Sorry, i have had a very bad reaction to a medication but it seems to finally be fading, Thank God. I am so grateful for my adult "kids" and my granddaughter who told my daughter everything she needed to know about taking care of G'mas fish. My son, daughter, and 7 y.o. granddaughter live with me and she is like a sponge when it comes to my when it comes to my water babies. I've almost decided my botia have fun worrying me sick. The largest, June Cleaver, and in control of the teens, Wally and Eddie and Lumpy and babies, Beaver and Gilbert, continues to flash for a while then stop awhile only to start again. There is NO visable sign of any health problem and that includes looking for hours with my magnifying glass. All will soon be going to a new, much larger home. I couldnt bear to split them up. But i have truly been convinced she does this for my viewing pleasure... NOT!! Prior to my becoming ill, I treated, prophilacticly, for multiple parasites with Paraguard, a few months prior I treated for ich even though I saw no real white spots, I hoped I was catching it early. But in all this time I have seen no real illness. She still flashes at times and Beaver and Gilbert occasionally follow her lead. I believe she is kicking up uneaten food I have missed with my "turkey baster" but I really think they are fine. The kids tell me they did not do this while I was ill...but are back at it now that they see me. Little alligator brats. They also have 3 platy fry and 2 guppy fry they love to play with, but all are very gentle and kind to each other. They also have a lone male guppy whose partner is in the baby house doing just that, having babies, as I write. Thanks so much for your concern. That is one medication that will never pass my threshold again. My doctor has vowed to never write a Rx for it again. I still have some bad recurring panic/anxiety attacks but nothing like the one that went on for several weeks. God willing, i will never experience that again. So, as far as I can tell, all is well. I would, however, appreciate any ideas/comments on my "diagnosis" or lack there of. Thanks again to all.

A photo for us is like a thousand words. We get a feel of things off a photo, things that you will never see.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back