FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bambam98

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but I have a problem with one of my fish!
I have a young male butterfly half-moon betta in a community tank (he's very a very gentle soul). Yesterday I found him 'stuck' behind the water heater (now I know bettas are notorious for sticking themselves places they shouldn't be, whether he was actually stuck or not idk but I moved the heater to get him out). I noticed a little mark on his head at the time and just thought I'd wait and see how it developed. Well I woke up today to this... What do I do? Is this a burn? Is it an infection? Is it a scrape? Stress related? SOS someone help poor bubbles!
Water parameters have been checked, and everything is fine. Temperature is also in range.

Attachments

• 20210616_125938.jpg
    20210616_125938.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 20210616_130030.jpg
    20210616_130030.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210616_130034.jpg
    20210616_130034.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210616_130036.jpg
    20210616_130036.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 66
Male bettas Normally don't do well in community tanks.
I'm quite new to bettas ,I have a female soriety in a 55 gallon and I have learnt alot from a group on Facebook as I was quite nieve.
I've kept tropical fish for over 20 years and bettas I have found one of the hardest to keep.
Males nearly always need their own tank and will thrive , but can sometimes be kept with a select number of fish .
They need higher temperature water than most tropical fish Normally around 27 to 28 degrees.
Also they need softer water.
It looks to me that he probably has a heater burn.
These fish really love their hiding spaces and somewhere close to the surface to laze around ,like a large leaf plant or if you look on ebay you can get leaf hammocks.
Hope he gets better soon, as I said I'm no expert but these are some of the things I've learnt recently and my group of 10 girls are thriving.
Also something to mention they get quite bloated off normal fish food as they find it hard to digest, I fed my live or frozen food ,but don't feed them to many blood worms ,only as a treat once or twice a week.

Thank you for your advice! I know males usually don't do well in communities, my last few have definitely been solo fish, however this guy in particular has actually been doing better in the community tank than he was on his own, he's a very odd little betta 😂 (there's only tetras and mollies in with him anyway, nothing like him with big fins or anything nippy to upset him).

I have a few big leaves in there that he does love to sit on, but may have a look at maybe grabbing one more, I don't want to overcrowd too much, he also really likes the little aeroplane I have in there, and goes in and out of the holes and sits on its wings.

I have put some general tonic in the tank now just to prevent the wound getting infected but I've kept a close eye on him today and he seems to be very happy, comes up to the glass to say hi whenever I come over and has been swimming around the tank happily otherwise. He's also had some brine shrimp today as a treat which he always enjoys so fingers crossed he should heal up ok very soon!

Thanks again for the tips!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back