Help! Betta fin rot?!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

M!NK

Reaction score
Help! My Betta (Howl) has holes in his tail fin and the top part of it is missing. I originally had him in a 10gallon but I noticed he cut his fins on the dragon stone, so I moved him to my 5.5gallon that doesn't have any remotely sharp ornaments. He was fine for a while until I noticed the state of his fins! Could it be that his fin got infected after being moved to a different tank? (The water is slightly off color because of a piece of driftwood I put in that I have since removed because it wouldn't stop leaking tannins) The tanks water change date is today so the water color will return to normal standards so I'd like to have some opinions on if it is fin rot (none of the other fish in the tank has it, it's just him) or not and how to deal with it. I appreciate any help!

Attachments

• 0AC6A9A2-7C77-447A-8C51-7CC6269E2681.jpeg
    0AC6A9A2-7C77-447A-8C51-7CC6269E2681.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 147
Doesn't look like fin rot. Remove all the ornaments, driftwood and other fishes. may be infection. Wait until it becomes worse

Fin rot is caused by poor water quality that encourages bacteria and protozoans to build up in numbers and affect the fish.

The easiest way to treat minor cases is to do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it unless the flow rate is reduced due to gunk in the filter. Wash filter materials in a bucket of tank water.

If there's no improvement after 2 weeks of water changes, post another picture and we can talk about medications.

That’s not fin rot, that’s fin nipping. He is either bored and needs some entertainment or he feels his tail is too heavy. I have the same problem with my rosetail. Get more plants for him to rest on and a floating betta log. Treat the fish with 50% water changes and 1 tablespoon aquarium salt per every 5 gallons of water for 10 days. Each day when you remove 50% of the water, add 1/2 tablespoons per gallon of salt back in.

That’s not fin rot, that’s fin nipping. He is either bored and needs some entertainment or he feels his tail is too heavy. I have the same problem with my rosetail. Get more plants for him to rest on and a floating betta log. Treat the fish with 50% water changes and 1 tablespoon aquarium salt per every 5 gallons of water for 10 days. Each day when you remove 50% of the water, add 1/2 tablespoons per gallon of salt back in.

Thank you so much! I will do that tonight. I love this Betta a lot and want him to get better as soon as possible. I'll post pictures and an update if anything happens or when he gets better!

Thank you so much! I will do that tonight. I love this Betta a lot and want him to get better as soon as possible. I'll post pictures and an update if anything happens or when he gets better!
Good luck! I’m moving my rosetail out of a 5G into another 10G right now in hopes of him being less bored in a larger tank. Note: Be sure your salt is Aquarium salt, not table salt. Please keep us posted.

Update:

I went to all the pet stores in my area, and NONE of them had a floating Betta log in stock! However, I was able to get a lot of plants (Anubias, 2 Amazon Compacta, Lacy Fern), the aquarium salt which his tank is now doses with, and a large cave-like decoration for him in hopes that he would like it.

I've never seen him so lively. Normally he would just hang out in the Pogostemon, but now he swims about happily around the save structure, going in and out and resting in the Anubias! I took a look at his fins and personally they look a better to me, but it was hard to take a picture of them with how much he was swimming around! Full recovery awaits us, but for now, Howl is enjoying his castle (an irony for any Studio Ghibli fans) and even seems brighter than before!

Attachments

• 33511184-0186-4D7E-B866-B09809E137AD.jpeg
    33511184-0186-4D7E-B866-B09809E137AD.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 114
  • A6AD6D35-73FF-4697-AF38-B2CAAEE08339.jpeg
    A6AD6D35-73FF-4697-AF38-B2CAAEE08339.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 119
  • BB4CABE9-9920-4AB8-A1A5-130E60ABA346.jpeg
    BB4CABE9-9920-4AB8-A1A5-130E60ABA346.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 106
He looks happy! Such a beautiful mustard. Keep up the treatment for 10 days. Keep us posted too!

My Bettas are in a 55g community tank. 4 females and a male. Two females that I bought in a tropical fish farm are large and look really healthy.

aae09729d120c97e4464d07b2939a38a.jpg

The fancy male and female elephant ears don’t look so good. Is it fin rot or the environment?

7a3ec2776d491a70ae048bfc10cea008.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it looks like something is biting the tail on the red and blue betta with the neon tetra.

Hi everyone :)

Sorry for the really late update. I did not post for a while because I was really depressed. A heat wave came to my area and my AC broke on the one day I was out of the house and the temperatures reached over 100 degrees. I lost nearly all of my fish, including my beloved Kuhlis that I had been caring for since they were needle-thin. Thankfully, my Gouramis and Howl survived thanks to buckets of ice (Howl was actually thrilled with the heat).

His aquarium salt treatment is over now, and his fins are looking much better. After much observation, he is no longer tail nipping and swims around his tank with vigor and joy. Once I water change to get the salt out, his dwarf crayfish friend, Ohmu, will be rejoining him in the tank as they await chili Rasbora friends :)

Once Howl's fins have completely regrown I will post another picture, but from now, this is the happy boy in full recovery mode!

Attachments

• B1050C69-788F-419C-87CE-A41A70CB7F48.jpeg
    B1050C69-788F-419C-87CE-A41A70CB7F48.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 85
I absolutely love that fish. So pretty! Glad to hear the good news on him but so sorry about the loss of your other fish. I know how heart breaking that is.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back