Help! Betta emergency!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

corylover5

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
My brother had a 3 gallon Betta tank. He was cleaning the tank and I was in another room. I heard a loud noise and I ran into his room. I'm not sure what happened but the tank is cracked in half. I got the betta into a little cup for now. He is doing really well. We don't have a tank for him now though. We are going to get a 3.5 to 5 gallon tank for him tomorrow. For tonight I set up a 2 liter bucket for the Betta. It has an air stone but I don't know if that is needed for a Betta. I know they don't like fast moving water and I'm afraid the current may stress him. Do I need an air stone for the Betta overnight? I will be cleaning his tank from now on when he gets a new one tommorow. I have the gravel, decor, and filter media in a seperate bin of tank water right now to save beneficial bacteria. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 20200830_220559.jpg
    20200830_220559.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 46
He would probably be fine with or without the airstone. They can breath from the surface. I would put the heater in the bucket, or the water might become too cold for the betta.

Thanks. I would have a lid on the bucket so he doesn't jump out. Would that be ok?

I was afraid to put a heater because it is preset to 78 and its made for 5 gallon tanks. It heated the water in the bucket to 82 and kept rising so I got scared and took it out.

Thanks. I would have a lid on the bucket so he doesn't jump out. Would that be ok?

I was afraid to put a heater because it is preset to 78 and its made for 5 gallon tanks. It heated the water in the bucket to 82 and kept rising so I got scared and took it out.
If you have a lid on it, I would say keep the airstone. As for the heating, maybe keep the bucket in the warmest room of the house?

ok thank you. without the heater it is staying at about 78 with a small blanket wrapped around the bucket. I kept the airstone and he does not seem to mind it. I covered the air stone with a silk plant so the current isn't pushing the betta.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back