Help: Are my Ram Cichlids Male or Female?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Róisín

Reaction score
Hi there, I have just got 2 Ram Cichlids together and I’m unsure what either of them are, they do look a bit different, so that’s why I’m confused. I’ve looked at pictures to try and figure it out but I think my Rams might be juveniles so it’s pretty hard to tell. Here are the pictures of them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 163
  • 0D1BB4D8-30A6-411C-A34F-007E94C72A3A.jpeg
    0D1BB4D8-30A6-411C-A34F-007E94C72A3A.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 166
You have 2 different species. One is a blue ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi), and the other is a Bolivian Butterfly cichlid (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus).

Both fish are really skinny and need more food. Try feeding them 3 times a day and use dry, frozen (but defrosted) and live food.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day or two while feeding them more often. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If they don't gain weight, then try deworming the fish. But post more pics before you do.

You have 2 different species. One is a blue ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi), and the other is a Bolivian Butterfly cichlid (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus).

Both fish are really skinny and need more food. Try feeding them 3 times a day and use dry, frozen (but defrosted) and live food.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day or two while feeding them more often. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If they don't gain weight, then try deworming the fish. But post more pics before you do.
Thanks very much, they were sold as 2 rams at a regular pet supermarket, I’ll make sure I buy my future fish at a more educated place. Do you know what gender they are? Thanks again

Thanks very much, they were sold as 2 rams at a regular pet supermarket, I’ll make sure I buy my future fish at a more educated place. Do you know what gender they are? Thanks again
You are actually lucky. I don't know where you live but in my town you would never acquire the altispinosus. Enjoy your acquisition. I think they are both too young to sex.

You are actually lucky. I don't know where you live but in my town you would never acquire the altispinosus. Enjoy your acquisition. I think they are both too young to sex.
I live in the UK so I guess I am just lucky, thanks for your help.

The blue ram looks male but the Bolivian butterfly could be anything. They will need to be fed up and when in better condition, they should be easier to sex.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back